Date   

locked Re: Hiding IP and email addresses?

James Homuth
 

I'm not disagreeing with you. However, to do that, we'd be breaking several standards of email that would very probably cause more problems than it solves. And since there's no practical way, when sending out emails, to decide to obscure email addresses for everyone who isn't a moderator, your choices are to obscure email for everyone or obscure email for no one.


On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 10:36 am, vickie <vickie_00@...> wrote:

James****For the record, moderators have the option of hiding the member list from the general public. So it's entirely possible for you to exist on a list completely hidden from view. However, you give that away as soon as you decide to post. That's how every mailing list I've been on worked in the history of mailing lists.

I know this
However it would be great to have  members emails hidden  from each other  even when  posting  to the group.
If a member decides to reply directly to  the sender then the  sender can make that choice to divulge their email  by replying back.

Vickie
 
 


From: James Homuth <james@...>
To: beta@groups.io
Sent: Monday, March 21, 2016 1:21 PM
Subject: Re: [beta] Hiding IP and email addresses?

I don't think it makes a difference if we can see IP addresses or not, as we can do nothing with IP addresses as list moderators. However, under no circumstances should email addresses be hidden, and in fact any obscuring of your email address is often times just undone if you mail the list anyway as a general effect of using email.

For the record, moderators have the option of hiding the member list from the general public. So it's entirely possible for you to exist on a list completely hidden from view. However, you give that away as soon as you decide to post. That's how every mailing list I've been on worked in the history of mailing lists.

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 10:12 am, vickie <vickie_00@...> wrote:
If anything, I feel view source should never be hidden from Moderators regardless of where the message was sent from.. 
I am ok with members email hidden from each other but never  from Moderators.

Vickie



 


From: Re Tired via Groups.io <ret99_99@...>
To: beta@groups.io
Sent: Monday, March 21, 2016 5:36 AM
Subject: [beta] Hiding IP and email addresses?

[Edited Message Follows]
I have read most of the messages in this group related to these topics but am not sure about the current status or options. I believe that many folks will not participate in Groups.io unless they are able to hide both their IP and their email address. What is the current status? Will there be a way for users to completely obscure themselves if they wish to?

Editing this message and adding a paragraph at 10 AM central time: When I do the View Source for this message, I see that my real IP address is obscured. I assume this is due to the fact that I sent the message from yahoo email. I am doing this edit on the web, so will be interested to see how the View Source changes.



 




 



locked Re: Hiding IP and email addresses?

vickie <vickie_00@...>
 

James****For the record, moderators have the option of hiding the member list from the general public. So it's entirely possible for you to exist on a list completely hidden from view. However, you give that away as soon as you decide to post. That's how every mailing list I've been on worked in the history of mailing lists.

I know this
However it would be great to have  members emails hidden  from each other  even when  posting  to the group.
If a member decides to reply directly to  the sender then the  sender can make that choice to divulge their email  by replying back.

Vickie
 
 


From: James Homuth <james@...>
To: beta@groups.io
Sent: Monday, March 21, 2016 1:21 PM
Subject: Re: [beta] Hiding IP and email addresses?

I don't think it makes a difference if we can see IP addresses or not, as we can do nothing with IP addresses as list moderators. However, under no circumstances should email addresses be hidden, and in fact any obscuring of your email address is often times just undone if you mail the list anyway as a general effect of using email.

For the record, moderators have the option of hiding the member list from the general public. So it's entirely possible for you to exist on a list completely hidden from view. However, you give that away as soon as you decide to post. That's how every mailing list I've been on worked in the history of mailing lists.

On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 10:12 am, vickie <vickie_00@...> wrote:
If anything, I feel view source should never be hidden from Moderators regardless of where the message was sent from.. 
I am ok with members email hidden from each other but never  from Moderators.

Vickie



 


From: Re Tired via Groups.io <ret99_99@...>
To: beta@groups.io
Sent: Monday, March 21, 2016 5:36 AM
Subject: [beta] Hiding IP and email addresses?

[Edited Message Follows]
I have read most of the messages in this group related to these topics but am not sure about the current status or options. I believe that many folks will not participate in Groups.io unless they are able to hide both their IP and their email address. What is the current status? Will there be a way for users to completely obscure themselves if they wish to?

Editing this message and adding a paragraph at 10 AM central time: When I do the View Source for this message, I see that my real IP address is obscured. I assume this is due to the fact that I sent the message from yahoo email. I am doing this edit on the web, so will be interested to see how the View Source changes.



 





locked Re: Hiding IP and email addresses?

James Homuth
 

I don't think it makes a difference if we can see IP addresses or not, as we can do nothing with IP addresses as list moderators. However, under no circumstances should email addresses be hidden, and in fact any obscuring of your email address is often times just undone if you mail the list anyway as a general effect of using email.


For the record, moderators have the option of hiding the member list from the general public. So it's entirely possible for you to exist on a list completely hidden from view. However, you give that away as soon as you decide to post. That's how every mailing list I've been on worked in the history of mailing lists.


On Mon, Mar 21, 2016 at 10:12 am, vickie <vickie_00@...> wrote:

If anything, I feel view source should never be hidden from Moderators regardless of where the message was sent from.. 
I am ok with members email hidden from each other but never  from Moderators.

Vickie


Vickie
 


From: Re Tired via Groups.io <ret99_99@...>
To: beta@groups.io
Sent: Monday, March 21, 2016 5:36 AM
Subject: [beta] Hiding IP and email addresses?

[Edited Message Follows]
I have read most of the messages in this group related to these topics but am not sure about the current status or options. I believe that many folks will not participate in Groups.io unless they are able to hide both their IP and their email address. What is the current status? Will there be a way for users to completely obscure themselves if they wish to?

Editing this message and adding a paragraph at 10 AM central time: When I do the View Source for this message, I see that my real IP address is obscured. I assume this is due to the fact that I sent the message from yahoo email. I am doing this edit on the web, so will be interested to see how the View Source changes.



 



locked Re: Hiding IP and email addresses?

vickie <vickie_00@...>
 

If anything, I feel view source should never be hidden from Moderators regardless of where the message was sent from.. 
I am ok with members email hidden from each other but never  from Moderators.

Vickie


Vickie
 


From: Re Tired via Groups.io <ret99_99@...>
To: beta@groups.io
Sent: Monday, March 21, 2016 5:36 AM
Subject: [beta] Hiding IP and email addresses?

[Edited Message Follows]
I have read most of the messages in this group related to these topics but am not sure about the current status or options. I believe that many folks will not participate in Groups.io unless they are able to hide both their IP and their email address. What is the current status? Will there be a way for users to completely obscure themselves if they wish to?

Editing this message and adding a paragraph at 10 AM central time: When I do the View Source for this message, I see that my real IP address is obscured. I assume this is due to the fact that I sent the message from yahoo email. I am doing this edit on the web, so will be interested to see how the View Source changes.




locked Hiding IP and email addresses?

Re Tired
 
Edited

I have read most of the messages in this group related to these topics but am not sure about the current status or options. I believe that many folks will not participate in Groups.io unless they are able to hide both their IP and their email address. What is the current status? Will there be a way for users to completely obscure themselves if they wish to?

Editing this message and adding a paragraph at 10 AM central time: When I do the View Source for this message, I see that my real IP address is obscured. I assume this is due to the fact that I sent the message from yahoo email. I am doing this edit on the web, so will be interested to see how the View Source changes.


locked Re: Customizing invitation message

weebeequilting <weebee.1@...>
 
Edited

I previously created a customized message for my invitations before I fully understood the feature.  It currently addresses an individual I  was inviting.  I would like to change the customized message to a generic one.  I have deleted the message in the customize message box but it has not affected what appears in the message itself.  I see no place to update or save changes. Please give me some guidance on how to change my current message.  As it is now, it is totally useless to me because it is addressed to an individual.  Thanks,

Janice B


locked Re: hide photo details #suggestion

 

J,

The regular-album ("uploaded") photos appear just once when you click on
them, with the information directly below, and stay that way. The
"emailed photos" appear initially the same as the uploaded ones for a
nanosecond, and then that display is immediately replaced by a very
large version of the photo (taking several seconds to load in its
entirety), with the information finally appearing at the bottom.
I don't know why, but I don't see any difference in behavior.

For both types of albums, clicking on the photo causes it load once at a size that is scaled to the fit within the width of the browser window. The Title, information, as well as the Download button (and maybe other buttons) are then below the photo. In one or two columns depending on screen width, and it may require scrolling to see them, depending on the relative size of the photo and the browser window.

I think you and Mark are saying that the emailed and the uploaded
photos are two different beasts internally, so this is not extremely
surprising and seems inconsequential.
Whatever the cause, if they're loading correctly for you in the end then I agree that the transitory effect seems inconsequential.


Shal
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum


locked Re: hide photo details #suggestion

 

Unfortunately, most of my group members would be completely incapable of doing that.
J

On Sat, Mar 19, 2016 at 11:29 AM, Jim Fisher <ejf@...> wrote:
You can suppress this information (other than, obviously, file size and date
uploaded) by removing it before posting. Read the image into most image
processing programs and simply save it again, and all that metadata is gone.
This is simply because the image has become one created by the program, not one
created by photography. I found this by accident when processing photos (e.g.
cropping) them before uploading to my own web site. I believe some image
processing programs provide a facility for editing the metadata, although I've
never tried to do it.

Jim Fisher

On 18 Mar 2016 at 19:20, J_catlady wrote:

> It seems odd that uploaded photos contain so much information about how they
> were taken. Can this be hidden? Here's a typical one. The only info that seems
> necessary here is the date the photo was uploaded:
>
> Taken: Mar 2, 2016, 6:01 pm
> Uploaded: Mar 16, 2016, 8:40 am
> Size: 1.6MB
>  Apple iPhone 6
> Aperture: f/2.2
> Focal Length: 4.15 mm
> ISO: 640
> Shutter Speed: 1/17 sec
>
> J
>

--
http://www.jimella.me.uk - my personal web site covering many subjects (not
currently working - hosting company problems)
http://jimellame.tumblr.com - My thoughts on freedom
http://jimella.wordpress.com - political snippets, especially economic policy
http://jimella.livejournal.com - misc. snippets, some political, some not
Forget Google! I search with https://duckduckgo.com  which doesn't spy on you








locked Re: hide photo details #suggestion

 

You can suppress this information (other than, obviously, file size and date
uploaded) by removing it before posting. Read the image into most image
processing programs and simply save it again, and all that metadata is gone.
This is simply because the image has become one created by the program, not one
created by photography. I found this by accident when processing photos (e.g.
cropping) them before uploading to my own web site. I believe some image
processing programs provide a facility for editing the metadata, although I've
never tried to do it.

Jim Fisher

On 18 Mar 2016 at 19:20, J_catlady wrote:

It seems odd that uploaded photos contain so much information about how they
were taken. Can this be hidden? Here's a typical one. The only info that seems
necessary here is the date the photo was uploaded:

Taken: Mar 2, 2016, 6:01 pm
Uploaded: Mar 16, 2016, 8:40 am
Size: 1.6MB
 Apple iPhone 6
Aperture: f/2.2
Focal Length: 4.15 mm
ISO: 640
Shutter Speed: 1/17 sec

J
--
http://www.jimella.me.uk - my personal web site covering many subjects (not
currently working - hosting company problems)
http://jimellame.tumblr.com - My thoughts on freedom
http://jimella.wordpress.com - political snippets, especially economic policy
http://jimella.livejournal.com - misc. snippets, some political, some not
Forget Google! I search with https://duckduckgo.com which doesn't spy on you


locked Re: hide photo details #suggestion

 

Shal,

My mistake, the information *is* there. However, the "emailed photos" behave in a completely different way when I click on them, in both safari (ancient version) and Firefox (updated to latest version just now). The regular-album ("uploaded") photos appear just once when you click on them, with the information directly below, and stay that way. The "emailed photos" appear initially the same as the uploaded ones for a nanosecond, and then that display is immediately replaced by a very large version of the photo (taking several seconds to load in its entirety), with the information finally appearing at the bottom. I think you and Mark are saying that the emailed and the uploaded photos are  two different beasts internally, so this is not extremely surprising and seems inconsequential.

J



locked Re: only emailed photos show up in "recent photos" on home page #bug?

 

p.s. I think the one adjective that would be clear in everyone's mind, including users, to describe "emailed or web-posted attached" photos, would be "attached." I think that's much more clear, at least until the real problem is solved, than using either "emailed" or "posted" (and using "emailed" in one place and "posted" in another, when they're being used as synonyms). That would result in the "attached photos" album and the "recently attached photos" display. It's an awkward term but at least it would not confuse anyone.

J


locked Re: only emailed photos show up in "recent photos" on home page #bug?

 
Edited

Shal,

So, to summarize the current situation:

1. "emailed photos" is a synonym for "posted photos"

2. "emailed photos" is used in reference to the "emailed photos" album, "posted photos" is used in reference to the "recently posted photos," and users are supposed to understand that the "recently posted photos" are the most recent photos in the "emailed photos" album;

3. both of these terms are distinct from "uploaded photos", and users are supposed to understand that when they "upload" a photo, they're not really "posting" it in the terminology here.

I'm glad you agree that this is too confusing!

Worse than being confusing, though, is still my concern that because "uploaded" photos are not now considered candidates for "recently posted photos," users will see the home page and feel their current photos have somehow been missed or passed up, while months-old photos continue to be displayed as the "recently posted" ones. [EDIT - addendum: Also, the other members will not see the new photos on the home page, and will not be alerted that some possibly awesome new photos have been added to the group. I am purposely saying "added" rather than "posted";)]

J




locked Re: only emailed photos show up in "recent photos" on home page #bug?

 

J,

Does the "emailed photos" album include only photos that were actually
emailed, or does it also include photos that were attached to a
web-posted message?
The latter.

If it includes both, perhaps it was named before the ability to attach
photos to web posts came into existence, ...
That's certainly true.

... and should be renamed?
That's debatable.

As was pointed out in an earlier discussion along these lines, the messages created via the site's Post and Reply functions are effectively email messages. It just happens that you used a different email user interface to create them.

In Yahoo Groups classic such messages really were email: the web interface generated an email message and sent it into the same email servers used to process messages that came in from "outside". Conceptually (as users without a view "under the hood") Groups.io might work that way too.

Looked at another way, if you use Gmail's web user interface do you claim that those messages weren't email because they were generated on the web rather than through a traditional email client application? If not, why object to calling messages created by Groups.io's web user interface "email"? They have all the characteristics of email: a header (To, From, Subject, and other fields), a text body, and (now) attachments. They are subject to moderation and distribution to members same as email messages from outside.

I'd say they quack like a duck.

I'm understanding three categories of photos at this point, and am
slightly confused about the terminology: (1) emailed photos, (2) photos
that were attached to a web-posted message, ...
These two I claim are fundamentally the same. The difference being no more significant than one's choice to use Gmail versus an ISP email service.

... and (3) photos that were uploaded to the photos section.
Yup. These have a different user interface with different features (Album management) and different rules.

Ultimately I hope that they will all get the same treatment, at least
visibly, because to me as a user, how a photo got into the site makes no
difference - whether I emailed, posted, or uploaded it, I think of that
as adding my photo to the group's content.
I strongly agree. I think Mark does too, as evidenced by the "Emailed Photos" album - it is a means of providing a somewhat unified user interface for them.

I realize that at this point, at least the emailed photos are treated
differently from uploaded photos, because of a programming issue.
I don't know what behind-the-scenes issue causes only the "emailed" (via Post, Reply, or from the outside) photos to show on the group's home page. However I agree with you that the best (least confusing) outcome would for the images uploaded via the Photos section to be included there as well.


Shal
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum


locked Re: hide photo details #suggestion

 

J,

The orange tabby photo behaves exactly like the photos in the "emailed
photos" section of my own group: namely, the data appears for a split
second after I click on the photo, and then it goes away to be replaced
by a large version of the photo itself.
Hm, that's different than what I'm seeing (Firefox 45.0.1 on Win7 Pro 64-bit, not that that should matter). 1280x1024 monitor with Firefox full screen (which doesn't seem to matter either).

Are you sure it didn't just get pushed down the page? can you see it if you scroll down below the large photo?

Did everything else on the page go away too (the left nav buttons, logo and breadcrumb bar, photo title below)? That would sound like the Download button got pressed somehow. Can you use the browser "Back" button to get back to the page with all the info?


Shal
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum


locked Re: New: Drafts and Attachments

 

Maria,

It takes a bit of getting used to and I wonder if there is a way to
reduce the steps involved... And make adding images feel more the way it
would on Instagram, Facebook, or group text apps, less like a doc
attachment etc..?
I don't see it on Trello, but having a means to insert images into the body of HTML (or Markdown) messages ought to be on the to-do list.

3- the image is displayed after the footer and links in individual
emails rather than in the body of the post... Feels bit weird, like its
missing or in wrong place.
That's because it really is an attached file, not a part of the message text - unlike the footer and links, which are part of the message text. Your email user interface doesn't have a way to know where else to show the attached file(s).


Shal
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum


locked Databases: Let the public view database entries #suggestion

 

Hi Mark and others, especially those using databases,

 

Databases are useful for presenting tabular information, and I find that it might be useful on my forum where we may need to catalog certain information in a table format. Since the forum I moderate can be viewed by members of the public and because databases provide an efficient way to view this information, I think it could be helpful if a setting could be made to let the members of the public view our databases (or let each database be configured for public display). Specifically, I’m thinking about putting together a table on accessibility of various Universal Apps on our Win10 forum via a central database.

 

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph


locked Re: only emailed photos show up in "recent photos" on home page #bug?

 

The following crossed my mind because of the conversation about hiding photo data:

Does the "emailed photos" album include only photos that were actually emailed, or does it also include photos that were attached to a web-posted message? If it includes both, perhaps it was named before the ability to attach photos to web posts came into existence, and should be renamed?

I'm understanding three categories of photos at this point, and am slightly confused about the terminology: (1) emailed photos, (2) photos that were attached to a web-posted message, and (3) photos that were uploaded to the photos section. Ultimately I hope that they will all get the same treatment, at least visibly, because to me as a user, how a photo got into the site makes no difference - whether I emailed, posted, or uploaded it, I think of that as adding my photo to the group's content. I realize that at this point, at least the emailed photos are treated differently from uploaded photos, because of a programming issue. But do you include web-posted attached photos in "posted photos" and/or "emailed photos"?

J


locked Re: hide photo details #suggestion

 

On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 10:49 pm, Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> wrote:
deliberately or accidentally excluded the EXIF data

Trust me. It was accidentally. ;)

The orange tabby photo behaves exactly like the photos in the "emailed photos" section of my own group: namely, the data appears for a split second after I click on the photo, and then it goes away to be replaced by a large version of the photo itself. In the other albums, the data appears below a smaller version of the photo and doesn't go away.  ???

J

p.s. I am about to add a comment/question about the terminology "emailed photos album" to the thread about the "recently posted" photos. 





locked Re: hide photo details #suggestion

 

J,

Also, I don't see that info on 'posted' (i.e., emailed) photos in my
group. I checked first. ???
Possibly your group members who emailed photos deliberately or accidentally excluded the EXIF data, or possibly you weren't looking in the "Emailed Photos" album of the group's Photos section.

Check out the orange tabby in beta@'s "Emailed Photos" album as an example.


Shal
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum


locked Re: hide photo details #suggestion

 

Shal,

I'd buy that. In yahoo, the setting is per user. That never seemed right and I prefer your suggestion that it be per subscription.

J