Date   

locked Re: Last Name sort in Members list #suggestion

 

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 10:38 AM, D R Stinson <dano@...> wrote:
In a similar vein, I was on the Invite page and noted it asks for "First
Lastname email@...". What if a person uses two names for a first
name OR a last name? If I invited Betty Jo La Rocque, how would the system
know what was the first name and what was the last name? I'm wondering if
some kind of a separator isn't needed there to differentiate for some names?

Yes, this is an issue. I'm not sure what the right solution is. I could split the fields into first and last names. But we try to get someone's name from their email; how would we populate the fields in that case? Also, having one field is just easier for people to fill out.

What do you all think? Should I split the name field into first/last names?

Thanks,
Mark 


locked Updates to Trello

Beta Integration <beta+integration@...>
 


locked Re: Direct Add message collapses paragraphs #bug

 

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 11:06 AM, David P. Dillard <jwne@...> wrote:

I have been telling folks about this and comparing this to the Berlin Wall that surrounds impenitrable Google and Yahoo group services.  Thanks so much for everything you do.

You're welcome, and thank you for spreading the word!

Mark 


locked Re: Facebook integration broken

 

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 1:19 PM, Jim Poston <poston@vch-nv..us> wrote:
On 17 Aug 2015 at 12:54, Beta Integration wrote:

> [Beta] New comment on card "Facebook has removed RSS feeds for pages,
> breaking our Facebook integration." by Mark Fletcher:
>
> Example page: https://www.facebook.com/StoreyCounty

That's a bummer.  Hopefully, it's just rewriting the interface to respond to a
different format?


Yeah, I think so, but I haven't played with it yet to be sure.

Mark 


locked Updates to Trello

Beta Integration <beta+integration@...>
 

[Beta] New card "Option on hashtag to override group's default reply-to setting." was added to list "Features".


[Beta] The lime label "Features" was added to the card "Option on hashtag to override group's default reply-to setting.".


[Beta] The description of card "Option on hashtag to override group's default reply-to setting." was changed to:

I'm thinking, for example, a moderator wants to post an administrative issue to the group but have replies go to him/her, or to the group's -owner address, for that thread instead of going to the group's Reply-To setting of "Group".

Idea credit goes to a member of ListHelp, who asked how to do that in a Yahoo Group.


locked Re: Facebook integration broken

 

On 17 Aug 2015 at 12:54, Beta Integration wrote:

[Beta] New comment on card "Facebook has removed RSS feeds for pages,
breaking our Facebook integration." by Mark Fletcher:

Example page: https://www.facebook.com/StoreyCounty
That's a bummer. Hopefully, it's just rewriting the interface to respond to a
different format?


--
Jim
Poston@vch-nv.us

<< 'I'm a lawyer.' 'Honest?' 'No, the usual kind.' >>


locked Updates to Trello

Beta Integration <beta+integration@...>
 


locked Updates to Trello

Beta Integration <beta+integration@...>
 

[Beta] New card "Facebook has removed RSS feeds for pages, breaking our Facebook integration." was added to list "Bugs".


[Beta] The red label "Bug" was added to the card "Facebook has removed RSS feeds for pages, breaking our Facebook integration.".


[Beta] The description of card "Facebook has removed RSS feeds for pages, breaking our Facebook integration." was changed to:

See here: https://developers.facebook.com/docs/apps/changelog#v2_3_90_day_deprecations

We need to transition to fetching the json page instead of RSS. Until then, all Facebook integrations are broken.


[Beta] New comment on card "Facebook has removed RSS feeds for pages, breaking our Facebook integration." by Mark Fletcher:

Example page: https://www.facebook.com/StoreyCounty


locked I would like to make a suggestion

 

I belong to a group for people who have cats with chronic kidney disease.  It's a very active group and the owner recently moved from Big Tent to Groups.io.  Since it is a busy group, I get messages delivered in a Daily Digest.  However, sometimes there are several digests in one day.  It makes for a lot of scrolling. 

Using Big Tent on digest mode,  I could click on the topic at the top of the message and would get taken to the first message in that topic.  Then, I could click on the link to go back to the top where the list of topics is and click on the next topic I wanted to read.  I did not read all topics in all digests.  Since the owner has moved the group to Groups.io, I find that I am really missing those helpful links to go from topics to messages and back to topics.  I am tending towards not reading any of the messages now, due to all of the scrolling I have to do in order to just read messages.

I am wondering if it would be possible to have a set up like what I described for the Big Tent digests,  with Groups.io digests? 


Donna



locked Re: Direct Add message collapses paragraphs #bug

David P. Dillard
 

Here is another email to add to your backlog. I was extremely impressed and grateful that you took time out while on vacation in Paris to fix your
network down time. Most impressive. I have been telling folks about this and comparing this to the Berlin Wall that surrounds impenitrable Google and Yahoo group services. Thanks so much for everything you do.





Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jwne@temple.edu

On Mon, 17 Aug 2015, Mark Fletcher wrote:

Hi Shal,
Sorry about that. It's been fixed.
(Back from vacation and working through the email backlog).
Thanks,
Mark
On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 4:06 PM, Shal Farley <shal@roadrunner.com> wrote:
Mark...

Acting on a hunch, I was able to "fix" those paragraphs by sprinkling <br> into my Add Message. Three problems:

1) I hope there's an HTML sanitizer at work on that text, otherwise there's a possible exploit there.

2) A text box that looks plain-text (has no formatting buttons) ought to act plain text. That is, all HTML codes ought to
be escaped; user-supplied HTML codes, if allowed at all, ought to be entered through a "raw" or "source" editor.

3) The <br>s make the text/plain copy look messy.

-- Shal

At 03:43 PM 8/15/2015, you wrote:
>Mark,
>
>The message sent to people directly added to the group is plain text only (which is fine with me), but the whitespace
(in particular line breaks) got collapsed as if it were HTML text. For example:
>
>--------
>Hello MHS PTSA board member! Welcome to the MHS PTSA email list (hosted by Groups.io). I'm adding you to the email list
(group) first. You're my first test of directly adding people to the list. Let me know if you have any questions or
concerns, I want to learn if I'm doing this right. If all goes well I'll be adding the entire membership (those that gave
me email addresses) to this list "soon". -- Shal
>--------
>
>was received instead of a nicely paragraph formatted message.
>
>Looking at the message source, the text/plain part was fine. But in the text/HTML part the entire user-supplied message,
including the rows of hyphens above and below, was wrapped in a single HTML paragraph, with <br> separating the hyphens
from the rest.
>
>-- Shal


locked Re: Direct Add message collapses paragraphs #bug

 

Hi Shal,

Sorry about that. It's been fixed.

(Back from vacation and working through the email backlog).

Thanks,
Mark

On Sat, Aug 15, 2015 at 4:06 PM, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:
Mark...

Acting on a hunch, I was able to "fix" those paragraphs by sprinkling <br> into my Add Message. Three problems:

1) I hope there's an HTML sanitizer at work on that text, otherwise there's a possible exploit there.

2) A text box that looks plain-text (has no formatting buttons) ought to act plain text. That is, all HTML codes ought to be escaped; user-supplied HTML codes, if allowed at all, ought to be entered through a "raw" or "source" editor.

3) The <br>s make the text/plain copy look messy.

-- Shal


At 03:43 PM 8/15/2015, you wrote:
>Mark,
>
>The message sent to people directly added to the group is plain text only (which is fine with me), but the whitespace (in particular line breaks) got collapsed as if it were HTML text. For example:
>
>--------
>Hello MHS PTSA board member! Welcome to the MHS PTSA email list (hosted by Groups.io). I'm adding you to the email list (group) first. You're my first test of directly adding people to the list. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns, I want to learn if I'm doing this right. If all goes well I'll be adding the entire membership (those that gave me email addresses) to this list "soon". -- Shal
>--------
>
>was received instead of a nicely paragraph formatted message.
>
>Looking at the message source, the text/plain part was fine. But in the text/HTML part the entire user-supplied message, including the rows of hyphens above and below, was wrapped in a single HTML paragraph, with <br> separating the hyphens from the rest.
>
>-- Shal






locked Re: Last Name sort in Members list #suggestion

 

In a similar vein, I was on the Invite page and noted it asks for "First
Lastname email@example.com". What if a person uses two names for a first
name OR a last name? If I invited Betty Jo La Rocque, how would the system
know what was the first name and what was the last name? I'm wondering if
some kind of a separator isn't needed there to differentiate for some names?

Dano


Mark,

I'd really like to be able to sort my Members list by last name.

I realize Display Name looks to be just one field, which makes this a
little more challenging. But even a simple-minded algorithm (grep for
consecutive non-whitespace at the end of the string) would suffice for my
use case.

-- Shal


locked Last Name sort in Members list #suggestion

Shal Farley
 

Mark,

I'd really like to be able to sort my Members list by last name.

I realize Display Name looks to be just one field, which makes this a little more challenging. But even a simple-minded algorithm (grep for consecutive non-whitespace at the end of the string) would suffice for my use case.

-- Shal


locked Re: Direct Add message collapses paragraphs #bug

 

Mark...

Acting on a hunch, I was able to "fix" those paragraphs by sprinkling <br> into my Add Message. Three problems:

1) I hope there's an HTML sanitizer at work on that text, otherwise there's a possible exploit there.

2) A text box that looks plain-text (has no formatting buttons) ought to act plain text. That is, all HTML codes ought to be escaped; user-supplied HTML codes, if allowed at all, ought to be entered through a "raw" or "source" editor.

3) The <br>s make the text/plain copy look messy.

-- Shal

At 03:43 PM 8/15/2015, you wrote:
Mark,

The message sent to people directly added to the group is plain text only (which is fine with me), but the whitespace (in particular line breaks) got collapsed as if it were HTML text. For example:

--------
Hello MHS PTSA board member! Welcome to the MHS PTSA email list (hosted by Groups.io). I'm adding you to the email list (group) first. You're my first test of directly adding people to the list. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns, I want to learn if I'm doing this right. If all goes well I'll be adding the entire membership (those that gave me email addresses) to this list "soon". -- Shal
--------

was received instead of a nicely paragraph formatted message.

Looking at the message source, the text/plain part was fine. But in the text/HTML part the entire user-supplied message, including the rows of hyphens above and below, was wrapped in a single HTML paragraph, with <br> separating the hyphens from the rest.

-- Shal


locked Direct Add message collapses paragraphs #bug

 

Mark,

The message sent to people directly added to the group is plain text only (which is fine with me), but the whitespace (in particular line breaks) got collapsed as if it were HTML text. For example:

--------
Hello MHS PTSA board member! Welcome to the MHS PTSA email list (hosted by Groups.io). I'm adding you to the email list (group) first. You're my first test of directly adding people to the list. Let me know if you have any questions or concerns, I want to learn if I'm doing this right. If all goes well I'll be adding the entire membership (those that gave me email addresses) to this list "soon". -- Shal
--------

was received instead of a nicely paragraph formatted message.

Looking at the message source, the text/plain part was fine. But in the text/HTML part the entire user-supplied message, including the rows of hyphens above and below, was wrapped in a single HTML paragraph, with <br> separating the hyphens from the rest.

-- Shal


locked Re: Downtime today

 

During the downtime, Firefox was displaying an error that the site was "redirecting in a way that will never resolve" or something like that. I was thinking the site was probably going to be like that until your vacation was over, but I'm glad to see you were checking in on it now and then and could do something about it remotely.

Hope you figure out what happened!

JohnF


locked Re: Downtime today

christopher hallsworth <challsworth2@...>
 

Hi Mark that is ok just one of those things I guess it's nice you inform us of the downtime, investigate and apologize. That's customer service in my opinion.

On 15 Aug 2015, at 07:56, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

Hi All,

The site was down this evening; I'm still working to determine how long it was down for and the cause of the downtime. As of now everything is back up and functioning normally; no data was lost. I'm in Paris right now; the downtime occurred while I was asleep and I had my phone turned off. We're flying home later today.

I apologize for the downtime.

Thanks,
Mark


locked Downtime today

 

Hi All,

The site was down this evening; I'm still working to determine how long it was down for and the cause of the downtime. As of now everything is back up and functioning normally; no data was lost. I'm in Paris right now; the downtime occurred while I was asleep and I had my phone turned off. We're flying home later today.

I apologize for the downtime.

Thanks,
Mark


locked Re: Many desires & questions from a new user

Frances
 

Hi Diana

I was talking about using the Mail Alias function on Groups.io
A single ID but you can send from different email addresses - whichever ones you add to the Profile.

Frances

On Aug 11 15, at 4:20 PM, Diana Gregory <diana@...> wrote:

On 8/11/2015 8:56 AM, Frances wrote:
You don’t get multiple emails for posts. It just means that you can send from any of the aliases.

Depends on how - and probably *where* - the list is.

Yahoo - you can be on with multiple yahoo ID's (there is no way for
Yahoo to prevent you from creating multiple ID's - and for mods/owners,
it's a good idea in case one gets hacked to have a backup set up as the
owner); you can subscribe to some lists with multiple non-yahoo email
addresses - you just can only look at the web "group" through wichever
Yahoo ID you have subscribed to the list (some folks never set up a
Yahoo ID - they do everything via email);  You can also have multiple
email addresses assigned to your yahoo ID - though I don't know if
that automatically allows all of them to send messages to a group you
are subscribed to with that yahoo ID).

For non"group" mailing lists (my own domain comes with 3 mailing lists,
plus I have a few friends who have their own domain(s) and have list
server software installed - usually MailMan), then there is no need to
have an ID on the domain - you're just subscribed to the list.  This is
where some folks have multiple email addresses for sending, but only
one is set to receive email.

I don't have the issue with people being on a list and set to nomail.
Some people are more comfortable with a browser than email; some folks
turn off email if they are going to be away for a while, and it's easier
on them and the owner if they just turn off the mail while they are
gone.

dg


locked Re: Many desires & questions from a new user

 

On 8/11/2015 8:56 AM, Frances wrote:
You don’t get multiple emails for posts. It just means that you can send from any of the aliases.
Depends on how - and probably *where* - the list is.

Yahoo - you can be on with multiple yahoo ID's (there is no way for
Yahoo to prevent you from creating multiple ID's - and for mods/owners,
it's a good idea in case one gets hacked to have a backup set up as the
owner); you can subscribe to some lists with multiple non-yahoo email
addresses - you just can only look at the web "group" through wichever
Yahoo ID you have subscribed to the list (some folks never set up a
Yahoo ID - they do everything via email); You can also have multiple
email addresses assigned to your yahoo ID - though I don't know if
that automatically allows all of them to send messages to a group you
are subscribed to with that yahoo ID).

For non"group" mailing lists (my own domain comes with 3 mailing lists,
plus I have a few friends who have their own domain(s) and have list
server software installed - usually MailMan), then there is no need to
have an ID on the domain - you're just subscribed to the list. This is
where some folks have multiple email addresses for sending, but only
one is set to receive email.

I don't have the issue with people being on a list and set to nomail.
Some people are more comfortable with a browser than email; some folks
turn off email if they are going to be away for a while, and it's easier
on them and the owner if they just turn off the mail while they are
gone.

dg