Date   

moderated Re: Provide option to disable ability of members to delete their posts #suggestion

 

On Sat, Jan 8, 2022 at 02:43 PM, Chris Jones wrote:
 you have left him in the position of being able to compromise your group
True but all of that seems irrelevant to disallowing this group member to remove his own posts. It seems what Bob really wants is to get rid of the posts anyway.
This is not adding up for me. I must be missing something? Surely the worry is not about emails floating around. You can't be sued for that - only for what remains on the site, if even that.
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: Provide option to disable ability of members to delete their posts #suggestion

Chris Jones
 

On Sat, Jan 8, 2022 at 10:14 PM, Bob Bellizzi wrote:
The issue for us is that a member made an unverifiied, serious statemen about a specialist/surgeon.
<snip> It turns out that this bloke has deleted 9 posts since 2016.
He has occasionally been a problem.
If it had been down to me he would have been moderated straight away so that further contentious posts could not arise. And if he has been a problem more than once I have to ask why do you allow him to remain a group member; as such you have left him in the position of being able to compromise your group.

Chris


moderated Re: Provide option to disable ability of members to delete their posts #suggestion

 

On Sat, Jan 8, 2022 at 02:27 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I remove the post,
More likely I just edit it to redact the vet name.
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: Provide option to disable ability of members to delete their posts #suggestion

Andy
 

I don't see how disabling the ability to delete a message, helps in this particular case (fear of a possible lawsuit).  Unless you are talking about being sued because someone else destroyed evidence, but I did not think that was your reason; or was it?

AFAIK, neither this nor Yahoo!Groups ever prevented message deletion by the sender.

Isn't there anyone in your group who receives your group's messages by email?  I have 15+ years of my groups' history in my email folders.

If your group is "public", then (some) messages might also be saved forever on the Internet Archive / Wayback Machine.

I have also wondered about giving Moderators the ability to lock other group features (Files, Photos).  But since there is a long history of not doing that, it might not be easy to argue for changing it.

Andy


moderated Re: Provide option to disable ability of members to delete their posts #suggestion

 

Bob,

I don't understand your issue. You're asking for the option to disable allowing members to remove their posts. But it seems your actual issue is that YOU want to be able to remove their posts. So why not just remove the offensive posts? What's the problem? We have the same situation in our group, where vets are not allowed to be discussed onlist by name. If anybody does it, I remove the post, and/or moderate the topic and/or the problematic group member. Why not just do that? I'm confused. Disallowing members from deleting their own posts would seem to do nothing to solve your problem.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: Provide option to disable ability of members to delete their posts #suggestion

Bob Bellizzi
 

Maybe a suggestion to "follow" a member, immediately sending all of his emails to a specified address would do the trick but Moderation already does part of that.
Or add a flag to Moderate a member to make those messages non deletable by the member.

--

Bob Bellizzi
FuchsFriends@groups.io online  support  group for corneal dystrophy patients & caregivers
The Corneal Dystrophy Foundation 


moderated Re: Provide option to disable ability of members to delete their posts #suggestion

Bob Bellizzi
 

J,
I agree with you 100%.  Because we provide references to specialists, online discussion of not only expectations from surgery  but often day by day vision surgery recovery, we do not countenance doctor bashing.  We require off line communication for that type of issue so that we can investigate and delist doctors if needed.
I'm sure I have at least one monderator who keeps digests.  I hope.

--

Bob Bellizzi
FuchsFriends@groups.io online  support  group for corneal dystrophy patients & caregivers
The Corneal Dystrophy Foundation 


moderated Re: Provide option to disable ability of members to delete their posts #suggestion

Bob Bellizzi
 

We checked the no editing when we moved here in 2016.
The issue for us is that a member made an unverifiied, serious statemen about a specialist/surgeon.
There are an adequate number of, let us say, repeaters, who might repeat this outside our group which could cause serious damage not only to his reputation but also to his livelyhood,
We could possibly be sued for defamation or some such.
It turns out that this bloke has deleted 9 posts since 2016.
He has occasionally been a problem.

--

Bob Bellizzi
FuchsFriends@groups.io online  support  group for corneal dystrophy patients & caregivers
The Corneal Dystrophy Foundation 


moderated Re: Provide option to disable ability of members to delete their posts #suggestion

Andy Wedge
 

On Sat, Jan 8, 2022 at 06:19 PM, Bob Bellizzi wrote:
I think it's very important to have the option to prevent individual member from deleting their own posts because it changes reality.
There was a suggestion related to this back in 2018. I'm not aware that anything happened.

Regards
Andy


moderated Re: Provide option to disable ability of members to delete their posts #suggestion

 

That will never happen. It seems to be thought of as a legal requirement to allow them to do this. I disagree with that (although IANAL) because they grant groups.io indefinite rights to publish. But this was battled several times and it's not gonna happen.

On Sat, Jan 8, 2022 at 10:19 AM Bob Bellizzi <cdfexec@...> wrote:
Actually I think this is a Bug but since the ability doesn't currently exist, I can't call it that.
I've just noticed that one of our more "inventive" members has deleted 9 of his posts over the past 5 years.
This finding was the result of a review and discussion of one post containig an unverified statement that cause potehtiial professional harm to a medical speciaist.
I thought that we had a selection that limted post deletion to the Owners/moderators.
I think it's very important to have the option to prevent individual member from deleting their own posts because it changes reality.
We are now possibly unable to prove where that particular piece of (probable) misinformation came from.

--

Bob Bellizzi
FuchsFriends@groups.io online  support  group for corneal dystrophy patients & caregivers
The Corneal Dystrophy Foundation 


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: Provide option to disable ability of members to delete their posts #suggestion

Pete Cook
 

I can imagine that in some types of groups messages might serve as an audit trail, and therefore owners would want to prevent deletion and/or editing. 

Pete


moderated Re: Provide option to disable ability of members to delete their posts #suggestion

Duane
 

On Sat, Jan 8, 2022 at 12:19 PM, Bob Bellizzi wrote:
I thought that we had a selection that limted post deletion to the Owners/moderators.
That's never been the case.  Members have always been able to delete their own posts.  However, it's quite likely that someone on the group will have the original message in their email files/archives.  It also won't delete anything quoted in a reply, so deleting isn't all that effective.  There IS an option to prevent them from editing their messages.

Duane


moderated Provide option to disable ability of members to delete their posts #suggestion

Bob Bellizzi
 

Actually I think this is a Bug but since the ability doesn't currently exist, I can't call it that.
I've just noticed that one of our more "inventive" members has deleted 9 of his posts over the past 5 years.
This finding was the result of a review and discussion of one post containig an unverified statement that cause potehtiial professional harm to a medical speciaist.
I thought that we had a selection that limted post deletion to the Owners/moderators.
I think it's very important to have the option to prevent individual member from deleting their own posts because it changes reality.
We are now possibly unable to prove where that particular piece of (probable) misinformation came from.

--

Bob Bellizzi
FuchsFriends@groups.io online  support  group for corneal dystrophy patients & caregivers
The Corneal Dystrophy Foundation 


moderated Re: #misc Disappearing Database #misc

 

Any chance the app is incorrectly showing the "Delete Rows" button, and she butt-deleted them?

Just throwing out ideas....

JohnF


moderated Re: Allow Users to Disable Email Address Truncation on Website #suggestion

Donald Hellen
 

Noah . . .

On Wed, 05 Jan 2022 13:13:53 -0800, "Noah Carver" <noahcarver494@...>
wrote:

I was advised that this truncation is controlled by group owners only. I would therefore request that the ability to control email address truncation be made available to a group's members as a global setting within Groups.io settings. This way, group owners can prevent scrapers and bots from scraping email addresses from archives, however legitimate group members can compose emails to email addresses provided within messages using their mail clients with no difficulty.
How then would you prevent scrapers from joining the group, changing the
setting, then scraping email addresses from the group?

A scraper would be "seen" by the platform as a legitimate member as there is no
way to verify a person's intent on what they will do in the group.


Donald


----------------------------------------------------
Some ham radio groups you may be interested in:
https://groups.io/g/ICOM https://groups.io/g/Ham-Antennas
https://groups.io/g/HamRadioHelp https://groups.io/g/Baofeng
https://groups.io/g/CHIRP https://rf-amplifiers.groups.io/g/main


moderated Site updates #changelog

 

Changes to the site recently:

January 6, 2022:

  • BUGFIX: The edit table permission wasn't checked when deleting multiple database rows at once. Discussion

January 5, 2022:

  • CHANGE: Don't truncate chat notification messages.
  • BUGFIX: The Mute #hashtag links in digest emails were the wrong color.
  • CHANGE: The tapback menu in the chat window is now a horizontal list, instead of vertical.

January 4, 2022:

  • CHANGE: Changed Vote Now link in poll emails to Click Here To Vote. Discussion
  • CHANGE: Trim leading/trailing spaces from various group settings, including title, before saving them. Discussion
  • CHANGE: When approving, deleting or rejecting a pending message from someone who is no longer a member, attempt to display the email address of the sender in activity log messages (only available for new activity log entries). Discussion
  • CHANGE: Added the word pending to delete pending message and reject pending message activity log entries. Discussion
  • CHANGE: Remove the option for subgroup creation/deletion notifications for moderators of subgroups. Discussion

January 3, 2022:

  • CHANGE: Formatting changes to the chat window.
  • CHANGE: Update or hide the unread chat count in the sidebar when we update or hide the unread count in the scroll to bottom widget.

December 20, 2021:

December 15, 2021:

  • NEW: Clicking on the list of tapbacks in a chat message now brings up a dialog box showing the people who sent the tapbacks.

December 9, 2021:

  • BUGFIX: Went through the database and broke all existing Files folder loops. When we found a loop, we would move the folder to the top level of the Files section and append "(recovered)" to the name of the folder. Discussion

December 8, 2021:

  • BUGFIX: In the Files section, can no longer move folders into subfolders, which would cause loops, which manifested in the folder structure disappearing. Discussion

The next #changelog will be published on January 14th.

Take care everyone.

Mark


moderated Re: notify when member bounces #suggestion

 

On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 07:25 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
I would like to have an optional notification when someone tries to post to a locked topic
Expected suggested workaround: "Just put it on moderation." Been there, done that. Sometimes you just wanna lock it. And I'm just asking for an optional notification.
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: notify when member bounces #suggestion

 

On that subject (sort of), I would like to have an optional notification when someone tries to post to a locked topic. Usually they're innocent and just need to be clued in, and in many cases, I'd like to know what they were trying to say. We lock topics under several circumstances, not just when topics get contentious.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: #misc Disappearing Database #misc

Pamela Tatt
 

Mark I was going to give up but did some more investigating this morning.  The deletion of rows shows up on the groups activity log but DOES NOT show on the members individual activity log.

I have just received a message from this member saying "I have not been on my computer for at least the past 24 hours so am not sure how I could possibly have done this.
Nor would I have a clue as to how to do such a thing."

It is a complete mystery to me!  I will ask what system she is running but if she is like most of our members she will not be very computer literate, so fingers crossed.

Thank you for looking into this mystery.
Pamela


moderated Re: #misc Disappearing Database #misc

 

Pamela,

This is a little baffling. It turns out that the edit database permission was not checked before bulk deleting database rows. But this should not have been an issue, because your member should never have been shown the red 'Delete Rows' button when viewing the database rows. So she should never have been able to have sent the request to the server to bulk delete rows. And yet somehow she did.

I have added a permission check when bulk deleting rows, to verify that you have permission to delete the row. 

I would be curious to hear what she says about it. I wonder if she's running some weird firewall that looks for form submissions in web pages and clicks on them. 

Thanks,
Mark

1501 - 1520 of 32392