Date   

moderated Re: Replies to moderated topics which end up starting new topics still get moderated #bug

 

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 2:27 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
This is a worse situation than it seems. My group is set to MF, which means, the first message of every new topic is moderated. Here's what happens when a member changes the titla via email:

1. The message is moderated, but it's right answer, wrong reason: it should be moderated (at least, in my group, because the first message of every new topic is moderated). Yet the log says "because the topic is moderated."

2. HOWEVER: the log just says that. The new topic is actually NOT moderated. There's no moderation icon, etc.

J, please send me the details off-list: email address of the person who changed the subject line, name of group, when this happened, and I'll investigate.

Thanks,
Mark 


moderated Re: Happy Anniversary! #misc

 

Thanks all!

Mark


moderated Re: Re the Reply button on Emails #suggestion

 

On Thu, Sep 23, 2021 at 8:39 AM Margo Seegrist via groups.io <rli=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
A number of members in my group - and I used to be one of them - would read an email from the group and click on Reply.  The groups.io software puts the name in the To box as, for instance mine which is normally rli@... - it puts it as rli=aol.com@groups.io.  Naturally they get the email back with a Mailer Daemon.  Is there any way to keep this from happening?  I know (now) to click on the Reply to Sender near the bottom of the email but it's habit to click on reply since that's how all the other emails work.
_._,_._,_
We set the Reply-To email header so that hitting the reply button in an email client should work correctly. I think this should only happen if someone hits Reply-All in their email client, which would include the group as well as the rli=aol.com@groups.io address (in your case). Unfortunately there's nothing we can do about that.

Mark


moderated Re the Reply button on Emails #suggestion

Margo Seegrist
 

A number of members in my group - and I used to be one of them - would read an email from the group and click on Reply.  The groups.io software puts the name in the To box as, for instance mine which is normally rli@... - it puts it as rli@....  Naturally they get the email back with a Mailer Daemon.  Is there any way to keep this from happening?  I know (now) to click on the Reply to Sender near the bottom of the email but it's habit to click on reply since that's how all the other emails work.


moderated Re: Happy Anniversary! #misc

 

Congratulations, Mark, on your awesome achievement! You have made us possible!

 

Dan Tucker, Groups.io  AFDRetiree’s Group Founder/Owner/Moderator

 

From: "main@beta.groups.io" <main@beta.groups.io> on behalf of Duane <txpigeon@...>
Reply-To: "main@beta.groups.io" <main@beta.groups.io>
Date: Thursday, September 23, 2021 at 5:34 AM
To: "main@beta.groups.io" <main@beta.groups.io>
Subject: [beta] Happy Anniversary! #misc

 

7 years ago today, Mark announced the introduction of Groups.io to the world.  Looking at all the features that have been added in that time, it's almost like an entirely different site, all for the better.  We all know that there have been growing pains, but I still feel like it's the best platform in the world.

Congratulations,
Duane


moderated Re: Happy Anniversary! #misc

Peter Cook
 

Woohoo!


moderated Re: Happy Anniversary! #misc

 

Happy birthday, groups.io! 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Happy Anniversary! #misc

Duane
 

7 years ago today, Mark announced the introduction of Groups.io to the world.  Looking at all the features that have been added in that time, it's almost like an entirely different site, all for the better.  We all know that there have been growing pains, but I still feel like it's the best platform in the world.

Congratulations,
Duane


moderated Re: Replies to moderated topics which end up starting new topics still get moderated #bug

 

This is a worse situation than it seems. My group is set to MF, which means, the first message of every new topic is moderated. Here's what happens when a member changes the titla via email:

1. The message is moderated, but it's right answer, wrong reason: it should be moderated (at least, in my group, because the first message of every new topic is moderated). Yet the log says "because the topic is moderated."

2. HOWEVER: the log just says that. The new topic is actually NOT moderated. There's no moderation icon, etc.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: add detail "new member moderated" to log entries for posts by NMM member @suggestion #suggestion

 

Mark,
Great! Thanks!


On Sep 22, 2021, at 12:36 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:


On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 12:23 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
When an NMM member posts a message, the log entry says "requiring approval because the member is moderated." It could be more helpful to say "requiring approval because the member is new-member-moderated." Mods would know, or be reminded, of why the user is moderated; trying to piece together later history in the case of problems might be easier; etc.

Done. It will only apply to new activity log entries, however.

Cheers,
Mark 

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: add detail "new member moderated" to log entries for posts by NMM member @suggestion #suggestion

 

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 12:23 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
When an NMM member posts a message, the log entry says "requiring approval because the member is moderated." It could be more helpful to say "requiring approval because the member is new-member-moderated." Mods would know, or be reminded, of why the user is moderated; trying to piece together later history in the case of problems might be easier; etc.

Done. It will only apply to new activity log entries, however.

Cheers,
Mark 


moderated Re: Record Moderator activity regarding banning domains in the Activity Log #suggestion

 

On Thu, Sep 16, 2021 at 4:21 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

I noticed that adding or removing domains to/from the banned list is not recorded in the Activity Log. Can we do that?

Done.

Cheers,
Mark 


moderated add detail "new member moderated" to log entries for posts by NMM member @suggestion #suggestion

 

When an NMM member posts a message, the log entry says "requiring approval because the member is moderated." It could be more helpful to say "requiring approval because the member is new-member-moderated." Mods would know, or be reminded, of why the user is moderated; trying to piece together later history in the case of problems might be easier; etc.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: Count mod-edited approval as an approved message #suggestion

 

Mark,

It also happened to one member of my group, but it's practically ancient history now and would be difficult to resurrect. Nevertheless, I went through the member's history just now to see if I could piece it together and send you her info as well. I couldn't, but that process led me to an independent suggestion, which I will post separately as a suggestion to avoid confusion: It seems that when NMM members' posts are approved, the log entry just says "because the user is moderated." It doesn't specify that the user is "new member moderated." I think it could be helpful, in future possible situations (including bug reports and resurrecting the history), to record that detail in the log.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: File list defaults #suggestion

Don Pottenger
 

I would second that suggestion. When the default file listing changed from folders first to just an alphabetical list (regardless of file type or folder) I found it confusing. I think the problem comes from the different ways the Mac (i.e. Finder) displays contents .vs. the PC (File Explorer) which by default lists folders first and then files alphabetically. Being a PC based person I dislike the current default listing purely by alphabet.

My $.02


moderated Re: Icon display consistency issue when setting a topic to both locked and moderated #bug

 

Since this is getting very muddy: I think that the original argument fby Christos for wanting to display both icons - namely, consistency with other multiple statuses - is invalid bedause Locked and Moderated have a unique relationship to each other. And I think that his second argument for both icons - namely, to let moderators know that even though they can post to a locked topic, their posts will be moderated, while correct, is weak and doesn't trump possible confusion on the part of non-mod group members who see both icons. And I think that Duane's point that many or most non-mod users won't be confused by seeing both icons because they don't even notice the icons at all is weaker still.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: Count mod-edited approval as an approved message #suggestion

 

Andy,

On Sat, Sep 18, 2021 at 9:31 PM Andy <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:
Checking the Activity Log, ...

  • Yesterday, a co-mod approved a message "via email", and the log does not show that his posting status changed.  I had to change the posting status later (and approve two new messages sent by the same member).

  • 3 days ago, the same co-mod approved a message "via email", and the log shows two results, for both changing the posting status and approving the message.

Same moderator.  Same method of approval (via email).  Different days.  Groups.io handled them differently.

I think it's a random bug.

Please send me off-list the email addresses of the members involved and the subjects of the emails, and I'll investigate.

Thanks,
Mark 


moderated Re: Icon display consistency issue when setting a topic to both locked and moderated #bug

 

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 10:48 AM, Christos Psarras wrote:
No, that wasn't the argument, after all mods can always post to locked topics regardless. 
That is not correct, if you mean that moderators' messages to a locked topic are not moderated. In fact, you yourself wrote this:
"

>>> Why? A locked topic does not accept further posts irrespective of any moderation status.

Not a 100% correct statement; from regular users, yes it doesn't, but it still accepts messages from admins just fine.  The difference is that if also moderated, the message goes into pending, but if not it sails through."

And *that* bolded statement is correct. Moderators' messages will be moderated in moderated topics UNLESS the mod is also marked "P" (overried: can post). So your argument (bolded statement) for displaying both icons seems, or seemed at that point, to be that it allows moderators to know that the topic is also moderated (in addition to being locked) to give them a heads up about their own posts. And that is the only valid argument, in my opinion. Your original argument, which you now restate (moving target?;):
"The argument was that the icon display is (visually) acting inconsistently compared to the other icons' display."

is not really accurate IMO. This is a very different situation from two icons/settings equal in the hierarchy, such as Locked and Sticky. Those don't have any dependence on each other.
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: Icon display consistency issue when setting a topic to both locked and moderated #bug

 

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 10:45 AM, Andy wrote:
If I hover my mouse over one, what do I see?  Nothing.
That is actually a very good point, tooltips can be very helpful to folks.  One of the mods (who reads online) in one of my groups sent me this when I told them I first moderated that particular topic:
 

>>> I now know what that balance scale icon means before the subject line of the message (in the Web interface).
 

In my reply I pointed him to the manual's badge & icon pages.

Cheers,
Christos


moderated Re: Icon display consistency issue when setting a topic to both locked and moderated #bug

 

>>> The argument for having both is that mods can post to locked topics. That seems a weak (and accidental) argument.

No, that wasn't the argument, after all mods can always post to locked topics regardless. 

The argument was that the icon display is (visually) acting inconsistently compared to the other icons' display.

Now if you want to argue that my POV was from a mod perspective, I guess it has merit ... I mean one can say that they moderated a topic for whatever reason, then decided to lock it, but because the icon doesn't display they miss that it's also moderated so when they email-send in a reply later-on to tell folks the topic is now locked, they are left wondering what happened, and they have to go and visit online to figure things out and eventually do a facepalm... :)

Cheers,
Christos

581 - 600 of 30654