Date   

moderated edit of a message tagged "private" does not go to members who are following-only #bug

 

If you edit, and send the edit, on a message tagged with a hashtag set to "reply only to sender," the edit does correctly get sent to members sent to Individual Messages. However, it does not reach them if they are also set to Following Only. Apparently the edit is thought of as a reply to the thread, and therefore not received by a member not following the thread.

This morning I needed to send an important correction to a message and realized only later that it's not being received by any FO members. The only way around this I can imagine is to create a completely separate (and preferably locked) topic containing the correction.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Site updates #changelog

 

Changes to the site this week:

July 16, 2021:

  • INTERNAL: Updates to our admin system to make researching group issues easier.
  • CHANGE: For plain text messages larger than 500KB, we truncate the display of them.

July 14, 2021:

  • NEW: You can now tapback chat messages (thumbs up/down/heart/exclamation mark/etc).
  • NEW: You can now send photos as chat messages.
  • NEW: When typing a chat message, if you type the @ character, that brings up an auto-completion list of user names.
  • NEW: You can now delete chat messages.

July 13, 2021:

  • INTERNAL: More work on detecting spammers.
  • BUGFIX: Fixed an issue where erroneous moderator permissions activity log change messages were being generated. Discussion
  • SYSADMIN: Switched our internal DNS caching architecture to use CoreDNS, in the hopes of being able to track down/eliminate spurious DNS MX lookup errors.

July 12, 2021:

  • BUGFIX: Special event reminders were being sent as normal messages. Discussion
  • CHANGE: The new activity log entry Moderator changed notifications is used for notification changes. Past changes were logged with Moderator changed moderator permissions.
  • BUGFIX: In some instances the link included in the login link email contained a subdomain, which was invalid.

Take care everyone.

Mark


moderated Re: No Hashtags tab in hamburger menu #bug

 

Hi Bruce,

On Fri, Jul 16, 2021 at 7:49 AM Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:
Mark -- When the screen is narrow, such that the left-side menu bar collapses into a hamburger, the Hashtags tab is no longer available. This is in the regular web interface...I cannot speak to what happens in the app.

This should be fixed now.

Thanks,
Mark 


moderated No Hashtags tab in hamburger menu #bug

Bruce Bowman
 

Mark -- When the screen is narrow, such that the left-side menu bar collapses into a hamburger, the Hashtags tab is no longer available. This is in the regular web interface...I cannot speak to what happens in the app.

I seem to recall this problem being reported [and fixed] before. If so, it's back.

FYI,
Bruce


moderated Re: Additional Topics nav at bottom of page #suggestion

Malcolm Austen
 

On Fri, 16 Jul 2021 00:41:11 +0100, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Thu, Jul 15, 2021 at 11:54 AM, Dave Kobersmith wrote:
I often get to the end of all the replies to a message and since I don’t go to all the topics I scroll back up to the top to click on topics to take me to the list
Unless/until it's changed, it may be slightly faster, once you get used to it, to use the "top of page" arrow that shows up at the lower right of any page after you scroll down a few lines.  You can also use the Back button in a browser to take you back to the Topics page and the one you just looked at may be highlighted in some way (In Firefox, it's underlined) so you'll know where you were.

In addition to Duane's reply above, I will add that many people seem unaware that they can scroll in a browser using the (assuming you have a keyboard attached!) PageUp and PageDown buttons; and that the Home and End buttons scroll, respectively, to the top and bottom of the page.

Malcolm.

--
Malcolm Austen - email: malcolm.austen@...


moderated Moderator permissions #suggestion

Mick Anderson
 

In the Moderator permissions you cannot send a bounce probe unless the “Remove members” permission is selected.
Could this be added to the permission description?

Mick


moderated Re: Additional Topics nav at bottom of page #suggestion

Duane
 

On Thu, Jul 15, 2021 at 11:54 AM, Dave Kobersmith wrote:
I often get to the end of all the replies to a message and since I don’t go to all the topics I scroll back up to the top to click on topics to take me to the list
Unless/until it's changed, it may be slightly faster, once you get used to it, to use the "top of page" arrow that shows up at the lower right of any page after you scroll down a few lines.  You can also use the Back button in a browser to take you back to the Topics page and the one you just looked at may be highlighted in some way (In Firefox, it's underlined) so you'll know where you were.

Duane


moderated Additional Topics nav at bottom of page #suggestion

Dave Kobersmith
 

#suggestion

 

I am a new user of Groups.io. I appreciate the site. One thing that would make it better for me is to have the “topics” button at the bottom like there is at the top of the page. I often get to the end of all the replies to a message and since I don’t go to all the topics I scroll back up to the top to click on topics to take me to the list and decide if that is another topic I want to review. This would make the experience flow a bit nicer for me.

 

Thanks,

Dave Kobersmith

 

Church Administrator

Office hours Mondays & Thursdays 9-3; Wednesdays 9-12; & by appt.

Union Church, Berea, Kentucky

Work 859-986-9260 | Home 859-985-0185 | Cell 859-302-0575

www.union-church.org

[Mod note: Added a subject]

 


moderated Re: #suggestion Provide for redirection of a Pending messge #suggestion

 

On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 04:23 PM, Jeremy H wrote:
For a pending message, it would be useful to be able to redirect it ...
Great idea, Jeremy. I have placed several members in moderation because they consistently post personal comments that are not of general interest to the whole group. I could use this feature. It would be very handy.
 
--
David Bryant
Canyon Lake, Texas
https://t-vog.groups.io/g/main    https://davidcbryant.net


moderated #suggestion Provide for redirection of a Pending messge #suggestion

Jeremy H
 

For a pending message, it would be useful to be able to redirect it, either to make it a 'reply to sender' (rather than group), if appropriate, or to send it to an individual (member or otherwise), rather than just have the alternatives of approving (so it goes to group) or rejecting it. (I rather expected this to be possible under 'Edit', but it seems not)

Jeremy H


moderated Re: Spurious Activity Log entry about Moderator's permissions #bug

 

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 6:07 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:

as discussed on GMF, we are seeing spurious Activity Log entries about Moderator permissions being changed when nothing of the sort has happened.


This should be fixed now.

Thanks,
Mark 


moderated Re: Spurious Activity Log entry about Moderator's permissions #bug

 

Not sure what you mean by "the same message" (is my message being repeated somewhere, or do you mean, the same issue?). I did notice, prior to sending that, that any time  I even went into a Mod's member page or touched it in any way, it was logged as if I'd changed their permissions. That is not happening any more.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: Spurious Activity Log entry about Moderator's permissions #bug

Andy Wedge
 

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 03:19 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I haven't seen the GMF thread but I mentioned something along these lines recently here:
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/29650
That looks like the same message and it's being logged in multiple instances whether the member is a Mod or not.  Christos saw it when approving a pending member and I've seen it when changing a member's display name. It makes no sense.

I'd go so far as to put this is the same category as a previous issue I raised when approving a pending message.

Andy


moderated Re: Spurious Activity Log entry about Moderator's permissions #bug

 

I haven't seen the GMF thread but I mentioned something along these lines recently here:
https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/29650

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Spurious Activity Log entry about Moderator's permissions #bug

Andy Wedge
 

Hi Mark,

as discussed on GMF, we are seeing spurious Activity Log entries about Moderator permissions being changed when nothing of the sort has happened.

Regards
Andy


moderated Re: sluggish groups.io processes, especially editing pending message #misc

 

If you can try the computer version of Firefox, hit F12 to bring up the developer tools (there are other ways to do it if F12 is a problem), click on Network, and then perform the Groups.io action where the network lag starts. Firefox is good at showing all the network connections that happen after that, and how long each one takes. If one seems like it's taking much longer than the others, that could be the culprit.

JohnF


moderated Re: Calendar not sending Special Notices #bug

Jim F.
 

Thank you, Mark!  

Best regards. 

-Jim 

On Jul 12, 2021, at 4:16 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:


On Mon, Jul 5, 2021 at 11:07 AM Jim F. via groups.io <JimF56s=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Our group has meetings twice a month (2nd & 4th Saturdays).  The Calendar is set to send out Special Notice reminders 5 days and 5 hours ahead of each meeting.  But it has started sending the reminders as regular notices that go only to those who are subscribed to get all email posts, not to all members who are subscribed to get Special Notices.  The 'Send as a Special Notice' box is checked for both Calendar reminders.  I tried deleting the Calendar events and setting up new ones, but it didn't help: today's notice went out as a regular notice, so I had to resend it manually as a Special Notice (which worked).  The last Calendar-generated Special Notice was sent 5/22, and the first Calendar-generated regular post was sent 6/07.  Was there an update in that period, or is there something I can do to get the automatic Special Notices working again?  Thanks and best regards.  -Jim F. 
_
This should be fixed now.

Thanks,
Mark 


moderated Re: sluggish groups.io processes, especially editing pending message #misc

 

Mark,

I’m now seeing it on a constant basis and will send you details the next time. I’ve even started to swear at it! :-(

Maybe it’s not groups.io if I’m the only one, but even in that case I could use some smart help on what else it might be.

Thanks!

J


On Jul 12, 2021, at 1:54 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:


On Mon, Jul 5, 2021 at 9:08 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
I've noticed recently that some groups.io processes are sluggish. It's not my computer (new computer is lightening fast) or my connection (all other sites load without delay). Things seem slightly sluggish here in general lately, but one process that stands out in particular, and is fairly (or completely) consistent, is editing a pending message. I'm often sitting there drumming on the table while the little wheel spins and spins until the edit screen finally comes up. I think this has been happening for about the past month. Other processes sometimes seem delayed as well, but I can't point to a pattern except for that one.

This is strange. I monitor how long it takes to generate web pages, and I'm not seeing any issues with the pending message edit screen. Please let me know off-list the next time  you see this and I'll pull up the exact log files and see if I can see anything.

Thanks,
Mark 

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: sluggish groups.io processes, especially editing pending message #misc

 

On Mon, Jul 5, 2021 at 9:08 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
I've noticed recently that some groups.io processes are sluggish. It's not my computer (new computer is lightening fast) or my connection (all other sites load without delay). Things seem slightly sluggish here in general lately, but one process that stands out in particular, and is fairly (or completely) consistent, is editing a pending message. I'm often sitting there drumming on the table while the little wheel spins and spins until the edit screen finally comes up. I think this has been happening for about the past month. Other processes sometimes seem delayed as well, but I can't point to a pattern except for that one.

This is strange. I monitor how long it takes to generate web pages, and I'm not seeing any issues with the pending message edit screen. Please let me know off-list the next time  you see this and I'll pull up the exact log files and see if I can see anything.

Thanks,
Mark 


moderated Re: Calendar not sending Special Notices #bug

 

On Mon, Jul 5, 2021 at 11:07 AM Jim F. via groups.io <JimF56s=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Our group has meetings twice a month (2nd & 4th Saturdays).  The Calendar is set to send out Special Notice reminders 5 days and 5 hours ahead of each meeting.  But it has started sending the reminders as regular notices that go only to those who are subscribed to get all email posts, not to all members who are subscribed to get Special Notices.  The 'Send as a Special Notice' box is checked for both Calendar reminders.  I tried deleting the Calendar events and setting up new ones, but it didn't help: today's notice went out as a regular notice, so I had to resend it manually as a Special Notice (which worked).  The last Calendar-generated Special Notice was sent 5/22, and the first Calendar-generated regular post was sent 6/07.  Was there an update in that period, or is there something I can do to get the automatic Special Notices working again?  Thanks and best regards.  -Jim F. 
_
This should be fixed now.

Thanks,
Mark 

821 - 840 of 30377