Date   

moderated Re: "First Message Also" in "Following Only" now not working #bug

 

The non-retroactivity is the problem. I posted the chronology already. I haven’t touched my settings since the changes. I think the changes may need to be made retroactive.


On Mar 5, 2021, at 3:51 PM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 04:51 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I think, regardless of the changes and the non-retroactivity of them, that there's a real problem if someone double- and triple-checks their subscription page, finds Individual Messages, finds Following Only, and finds a topic in their Followed Topics list, and still gets no email because three months ago they set themselves to No Email but forgot.
It sounds like the non-retroactivity is where your problem is.  Have you changed it to something else and back since the changes were made?  I believe that's why it works for Andy, but not for you.

Duane

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: "First Message Also" in "Following Only" now not working #bug

Duane
 

On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 04:51 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I think, regardless of the changes and the non-retroactivity of them, that there's a real problem if someone double- and triple-checks their subscription page, finds Individual Messages, finds Following Only, and finds a topic in their Followed Topics list, and still gets no email because three months ago they set themselves to No Email but forgot.
It sounds like the non-retroactivity is where your problem is.  Have you changed it to something else and back since the changes were made?  I believe that's why it works for Andy, but not for you.

Duane


moderated Re: "First Message Also" in "Following Only" now not working #bug

 

Right, it doesn't match for anyone for whom the non-retroactive changes would have applied if they had been retractive. :)


On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 2:57 PM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:
On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 10:51 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
The issue is actually exactly the same as before. I am showing as "Individual Messages" in my subscription page, checking it over and over again, I explicitly marked the topic as Followed, etc. etc etc. but I am *actualy* "No Email," which shows only in the Members List.
So, if the underlying issue is that the subscription options page doesn't always agree with the delivery option shown on the membership list, I can see why that may cause a bit of confusion. I would have thought that both pages would take their info from the same source.

Andy


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: "First Message Also" in "Following Only" now not working #bug

Andy Wedge
 

On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 10:51 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
The issue is actually exactly the same as before. I am showing as "Individual Messages" in my subscription page, checking it over and over again, I explicitly marked the topic as Followed, etc. etc etc. but I am *actualy* "No Email," which shows only in the Members List.
So, if the underlying issue is that the subscription options page doesn't always agree with the delivery option shown on the membership list, I can see why that may cause a bit of confusion. I would have thought that both pages would take their info from the same source.

Andy


moderated Re: "First Message Also" in "Following Only" now not working #bug

 

Thanks. I just emailed Mark at support and then had to send a p.s. The issue is actually exactly the same as before. I am showing as "Individual Messages" in my subscription page, checking it over and over again, I explicitly marked the topic as Followed, etc. etc etc. but I am *actualy* "No Email," which shows only in the Members List. So that's why I'm getting nothing. I think, regardless of the changes and the non-retroactivity of them, that there's a real problem if someone double- and triple-checks their subscription page, finds Individual Messages, finds Following Only, and finds a topic in their Followed Topics list, and still gets no email because three months ago they set themselves to No Email but forgot. (It is not showing No Email in their subscription page.) Maybe the changes do need to be made retroactive somehow.


On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 2:47 PM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:
On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 10:24 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I am now explicitly following the topic in the group in question and I still get no emails from it. I am set to Individual Emails, Following Only, First Message Also, AutoFollow Replies. I marked the topic as Followed. It is showing up in my list of Followed Topics. But no emails.
I have set up one of my test accounts with the same subscription options and it all works OK for me. What does your email delivery history say?

Andy


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: "First Message Also" in "Following Only" now not working #bug

Andy Wedge
 

On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 10:24 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
I am now explicitly following the topic in the group in question and I still get no emails from it. I am set to Individual Emails, Following Only, First Message Also, AutoFollow Replies. I marked the topic as Followed. It is showing up in my list of Followed Topics. But no emails.
I have set up one of my test accounts with the same subscription options and it all works OK for me. What does your email delivery history say?

Andy


moderated Re: Advanced Preferences panel showing old layout when accepting invite via web #bug

 

On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 7:01 AM Andy Wedge <andy_wedge@...> wrote:


I clicked on a link to accept an invite via the web and found that the Advanced Preferences panel still has the old layout in terms of Following Only, First Message Also and Auto Follow Replies.

This should be fixed now.

Thanks,
Mark 


moderated Re: "First Message Also" in "Following Only" now not working #bug

 

Sorry to hammer on this but there really is a bug. I am now explicitly following the topic in the group in question and I still get no emails from it. I am set to Individual Emails, Following Only, First Message Also, AutoFollow Replies. I marked the topic as Followed. It is showing up in my list of Followed Topics. But no emails.

I will send the bug report to support.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Discarding a draft message doesn't update the Drafts folder counter #bug

KWKloeber
 

I was deleting multiple msgs in a Drafts folder and noticed that after I opened the draft msg and Discard-ed it, the Drafts folder message counter does not update.  Not a show-stopper but it seems that the counter should update immediately.

See below (after I had opened and Discard-ed the last remaining msg in the Draft folder.)



 Naturally, after I opened the folder once again, the count updated. 

If we Discard a draft msg directly from the folder list (i.e., don't open the message) then the counter updates immediately.

-ken  


moderated Advanced Preferences panel showing old layout when accepting invite via web #bug

Andy Wedge
 

Hi Mark,

I clicked on a link to accept an invite via the web and found that the Advanced Preferences panel still has the old layout in terms of Following Only, First Message Also and Auto Follow Replies.




Regards
Andy


moderated Re: Retaining Thread after change the original subject #suggestion

Andy Wedge
 

On Fri, Mar 5, 2021 at 01:38 PM, John Pearce wrote:
I do not object to some facility that would allow you to maintain the thread when you change a subject.  I would like you to be required to take some specific action to do so each time you change a subject.
I agree with John on this. One of the problems I encounter is members picking up an old emails from the group, changing the subject and starting to discuss something completely different. If threading was done automatically by message id it would break the expected connection between topic subject and the actual text of messages.

if you find yourself wanting to adjust topic subjects for clarity then why not moderate the first message of each new topic and ensure the subject is clear to start with. See the Spam Control options on the Group settings page:



Having it sorted from the outset would save multiple updates for following messages and potential topic merges afterwards.

Regards
Andy


moderated Re: Retaining Thread after change the original subject #suggestion

John Pearce <jj.pearce@...>
 

Mike,

Just to clarify my objection, I do not object to some facility that would allow you to maintain the thread when you change a subject.  I would like you to be required to take some specific action to do so each time you change a subject.  For example, to check some check box which is unchecked by default.  I believe the default should remain as it stands now, that any change to a subject creates a new thread.

John


moderated Re: Retaining Thread after change the original subject #suggestion

Mike Hanauer
 

Not usually the case. I change the subject to make it clearer, especially later on for searches. I still want to be able to maintain and continue the thread as a needed choice. 

Consider Better, not Bigger. So many advantages. Just ask. USA adds a Chicago to our overpop each year.
"Still more population growth is not our way to a healthy community, a healthy planet, OR enjoyable cycling."

    ~Mike


On Thursday, March 4, 2021, 03:07:27 PM EST, ro-esp <ro-esp@...> wrote:


On Tue, Mar  2, 2021 at 09:38 PM, Mike Hanauer wrote:

>
> I notice that if I change the subject (usually to make it clearer) of an
> original topic, and someone then replies by email to a previous email (thus
> the old topic), it starts a new thread.

I think I agree with John here. If you change the subject, you SHOULD create a new thread by doing so.
Usually you change it because the original subjectline was too vague (e.g. "I have a question"), or because the discussion has err.. "gone off on a tangent"(?), that is the discussion is about something other than the original topic

> I wonder if that could be changed. If I understand the mechanism, perhaps via
> message id rather than subject.

If you want to maintain the threading, the traditional way is by changing the original subject ( "I have a question" ) to the new one ("topic at hand")  like this:

Topic at hand (was: I have a question)

Of course,  replies to older posts would still have the old subject


                                  groetjes/ĝis, Ronaldo






moderated Re: Retaining Thread after change the original subject #suggestion

ro-esp
 

On Tue, Mar 2, 2021 at 09:38 PM, Mike Hanauer wrote:


I notice that if I change the subject (usually to make it clearer) of an
original topic, and someone then replies by email to a previous email (thus
the old topic), it starts a new thread.
I think I agree with John here. If you change the subject, you SHOULD create a new thread by doing so.
Usually you change it because the original subjectline was too vague (e.g. "I have a question"), or because the discussion has err.. "gone off on a tangent"(?), that is the discussion is about something other than the original topic

I wonder if that could be changed. If I understand the mechanism, perhaps via
message id rather than subject.
If you want to maintain the threading, the traditional way is by changing the original subject ( "I have a question" ) to the new one ("topic at hand") like this:

Topic at hand (was: I have a question)

Of course, replies to older posts would still have the old subject


groetjes/ĝis, Ronaldo


moderated Receipt emails #suggestion

Malcolm Austen
 

It appears that while a receipt email is generated for 'subsequent' payments for a group, no such email is generated on the first payment for a group.

I suggest that such an email should be generated because that's the simplest way to pass on a reclaim to an organisation's treasurer.

Malcolm.

-- 
Malcolm Austen <malcolm.austen@...>


moderated Re: view/change plan #bug

 

Hi Duane,

On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 8:02 AM Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:
Either there's misinformation on my View/Change Plan page or I've misunderstood the recent pricing changes.  I have a group that was created on 01/14/20.  I upgraded it to Premium on 12/29/20.  On the View/Change Plan page, it shows the member limits on the Premium and Enterprise levels (but not on Basic), along with the payment calculator at the bottom.  On the Billing page, it shows renewal will be $220.  I believe this last is correct, as legacy payment status, but don't understand why it would show member limits on the View/Change Plan page.  I realize it's a bit complicated to keep straight with the various grandfathering clauses being used, but would appreciate being able to see correct information, assuming I've correctly understood how it should work.

I've fixed things up a bit there. The pricing no longer mentions per-member because your group doesn't currently have that. And the pricing calculator is gone.

Thanks,
Mark 


moderated Re: New hashtag fails to bounce #bug

Bruce Bowman
 

On Wed, Mar 3, 2021 at 11:30 AM, I wrote:
My testing suggests the system is still failing to bounce incoming emails with new hashtags despite group settings.
Well, watch me backtrack.

Messages from Members do bounce, but Owners can create new hashtags via email.

With the benefit of hindsight, that's what the permissions setting actually says...but it wasn't intuitive to me.

So I guess it's not a bug after all. Maybe capitalizing Members will help keep this from being reported again.

Sorry,
Bruce


moderated New hashtag fails to bounce #bug

Bruce Bowman
 

Mark -- My testing suggests the system is still failing to bounce incoming emails with new hashtags despite group settings.

See https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/28540 and the screenshot below.

Regards,
Bruce


moderated view/change plan #bug

Duane
 

Either there's misinformation on my View/Change Plan page or I've misunderstood the recent pricing changes.  I have a group that was created on 01/14/20.  I upgraded it to Premium on 12/29/20.  On the View/Change Plan page, it shows the member limits on the Premium and Enterprise levels (but not on Basic), along with the payment calculator at the bottom.  On the Billing page, it shows renewal will be $220.  I believe this last is correct, as legacy payment status, but don't understand why it would show member limits on the View/Change Plan page.  I realize it's a bit complicated to keep straight with the various grandfathering clauses being used, but would appreciate being able to see correct information, assuming I've correctly understood how it should work.

BTW, it isn't a real problem for me since it's a test group that I upgraded to 'donate' to GIO, as well as being able to test paid features, but others may be more concerned at some point.

Thanks,
Duane


moderated Re: Retaining Thread after change the original subject #suggestion

John Pearce <jj.pearce@...>
 

Hopefully if some change to help with this happens,  I hope that it requires the poster to take specific actions to do so leaving everything else the same as it has been.  Our group discusses many different topics.  Many members (1400 total) are not interested in half or more of them.  It helps disinterested people to simply delete the email or not open the thread unless it is something of interest to them.  If a topic changes in a thread to something that a member would be interested in they would never see it.  A change like this could destroy much of the usefulness of the group and groups.io

John

681 - 700 of 29091