Date   

moderated Re: suggested change to use hashtag to control sending megs #suggestion

KWKloeber
 

 
>>>On Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:25 AM; ro-esp wrote:
Subject: Private: Re: [beta] suggested change to use hashtag to control sending megs #suggestion
 
>  the message would be turned around 
what does that mean? (please answer on-list)
                         groetjes, Ronaldo<<<
Ronaldo,
It means that your email to a group doesn't get delivered directly to members.  GIO is an email bounce service -- A very busy Nome inside reads your message and types it out onto another piece of paper and mails it to members (opposed to reading the message on the website GUI.)

My suggestion is that a #TAG in the email subject could be used to set (determine) which members the message is sent (turned around) to. 
(excuse the preposition.)


moderated section links #suggestion

bchesneau@...
 

WHile the wiki is said to use the github markdown flavour it's not possible yet to have section links. Would be very useful to have it...


moderated Re: Deleting attachments when out of space #update

 

On Wed, Jan 29, 2020 at 12:49 PM Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:

If I may, please ensure that the nightly attachment trim is the last function performed in whatever nightly maintenance is scheduled by groups.io. It would be unfortunate if an unexpected bolus of incoming attachments on a given day resulted in some of them being purged before they went out in the daily digest.


First, as a word nerd, I need to say that I really appreciate the use of the word bolus.

I haven't yet set up the time for when the enforcer process will run, but I'm not sure I understand your request. Are you envisioning a group that is continually running up against its storage limit not because of attachments, but because of files/photos? And so the enforcer process would end up deleting all attachments in the group each time it runs? And given that, there'd be a timing issue with digests going out? 

Assuming I understand the request, I guess that's a possibility, but I'm not sure there's anything I can do about it. I currently force digests every night (with the caveat that if someone had recently gotten a digest, a new one doesn't go out). But otherwise digests can go out at any time, depending on messages sent to a group. And I've been contemplating changing the forcing of digests so that it would work more like summaries do, so that a digest would be forced at 6am based on a user's timezone, instead of everyone getting forced at 10:30pm pacific time.

Thanks,
Mark


moderated Re: Deleting attachments when out of space #update

Bruce Bowman
 

Thanks for the update, Mark. As you might imagine, we're getting some follow-up inquiries in GMF.

If I may, please ensure that the nightly attachment trim is the last function performed in whatever nightly maintenance is scheduled by groups.io. It would be unfortunate if an unexpected bolus of incoming attachments on a given day resulted in some of them being purged before they went out in the daily digest.

Thanks again,
Bruce


moderated Re: Banned not in Banned list #bug

Duane
 

On Sat, Jan 25, 2020 at 01:44 PM, John Pearce wrote:
What is the aol weirdness you speak of?
See https://beta.groups.io/g/main/topic/70062502

Duane


moderated Re: Deleting attachments when out of space #update

 

On Sat, Jan 18, 2020 at 04:33 PM, Bruce Bowman wrote:

Mark -- The previously stated, two-week timeline for the auto-deletion of attachments is fast becoming imminent; so I thought it would be a good idea to revisit this now.

I just sent out the two week warning messages.

-- On what date/time is the "great attachment purge" actually scheduled to occur (~Jan 21)?

It will start two weeks from tomorrow.

-- What was the final decision regarding the resulting entry[s] in the Activity Log?

I will change it so that there will be one log entry per "purge", and it'll list the high water mark message number.

Thanks, Mark


moderated Re: suggested change to use hashtag to control sending megs #suggestion

KWKloeber
 

>>>. But how will you deal with the message list?<<<



J - unsure what you’re asking. Clarify?


On Jan 27, 2020, at 9:13 PM, Ken Kloeber via Groups.Io <KWKloeber@...> wrote:

Replying to wasn't the focus, but of course, options could be "to sender"  or "no replies" or to the "sent-to group" only.
subgroups seem too clunky/restrictive to simply send msgs to admins or the like.

For example, for whatever reason say a group has 4 lists (sometimes members changing), admins, renters, buyers, tire-kickers. 
A SG for each is not useful because it involved subscribing/unsubscribing, and there could be cross-listing (there could be two (but not the same) admins on each list, or there could be plain old members on 2 out of the 4 lists, and 2 on another list, and so on.

thx
K

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 11:37 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Not clear how this would work. What would happen when one of those people replies to the message?
Suggest using a subgroup instead.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


 




 


moderated Calendar ICS file changes #update

 

Hi All,

I just pushed a big revamp of how we generate calendar ICS files, something I've been working on for the past week. ICS files are the attachments in #cal-invite and #cal-reminder messages and are also what's sent out when you subscribe to a Groups.io calendar (with your Outlook/Gmail/Yahoo/etc calendar). They describe calendar events and are what allow you to easily add events from your Groups.io calendar to your Gmail/Outlook/Yahoo/etc calendar.

<NerdTalk> The changes affect how we described repeating events in the ICS files. The way we did it before was to just describe the individual events that happen; now we describe the repeating event criteria instead (ie happens every Monday at 10am). </NerdTalk>

The end result is that, in your Google calendar for example, it will know a specific event is part of a repeating event, so that you can delete all of them at once. Also, importantly, cancel event notices should behave much better.

These changes should not affect how your calendar behaves on Groups.io. These are just changes to ICS files. Mostly, you should not notice any changes. If you do, please let me know off list. Calendar changes are notoriously difficult to test, because of all the different calendars out there and also, to me, the ICS spec is difficult to implement correctly.

Thanks,
Mark
(also I added a new #update hashtag for these kinds of announcements)


moderated Re: auto-acknowledgement from support is back (yay) but missing original message #bug

 

Yep, Duane, has totally forgotten that. Which is ironic, since making MF a group option (in general, not specifically for beta) was actually my suggestion. 😊


On Jan 28, 2020, at 10:29 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 11:26 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
That message took roughly 10 minutes to appear either online or in email.
Not that bad considering that all new topics are now moderated per https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/23814

Duane

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: auto-acknowledgement from support is back (yay) but missing original message #bug

 

Correction: there’s no delay issue. I’d forgotten that the group is now MF. Also missed Mark’s note that he changed the tag to “bug”. 

I need to go off that decaf I started this morning...


On Jan 28, 2020, at 9:26 AM, J_Catlady via Groups.Io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

That message took roughly 10 minutes to appear either online or in email. Maybe the message delay problem is back.


On Jan 28, 2020, at 9:12 AM, J_Catlady via Groups.Io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

Mark,

This morning I sent an email to the support address, about a logged-in location in the Subscription Approval Notice not matching the member's location as stated in her questionnaire response. (I wanted to know what was going on, it was possibly not a bug, and it was inappropriate to post here as a bug since I had to send you the member's detailed information.) I was pleasantly surprised to see that the auto-acknowledgement is back. However, the acknowledgement didn't contain the text of the originally sent message, as it used to. That could make it difficult to locate these emails later, since now there is only the title to search on. Calling this "misc" since it's either a bug (if unintentional) or a suggestion (if intentional).

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

[Mod Note: Changed hashtag to #bug]


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: auto-acknowledgement from support is back (yay) but missing original message #bug

Duane
 

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 11:26 AM, J_Catlady wrote:
That message took roughly 10 minutes to appear either online or in email.
Not that bad considering that all new topics are now moderated per https://beta.groups.io/g/main/message/23814

Duane


moderated Re: auto-acknowledgement from support is back (yay) but missing original message #bug

 

That message took roughly 10 minutes to appear either online or in email. Maybe the message delay problem is back.


On Jan 28, 2020, at 9:12 AM, J_Catlady via Groups.Io <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

Mark,

This morning I sent an email to the support address, about a logged-in location in the Subscription Approval Notice not matching the member's location as stated in her questionnaire response. (I wanted to know what was going on, it was possibly not a bug, and it was inappropriate to post here as a bug since I had to send you the member's detailed information.) I was pleasantly surprised to see that the auto-acknowledgement is back. However, the acknowledgement didn't contain the text of the originally sent message, as it used to. That could make it difficult to locate these emails later, since now there is only the title to search on. Calling this "misc" since it's either a bug (if unintentional) or a suggestion (if intentional).

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

[Mod Note: Changed hashtag to #bug]


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated auto-acknowledgement from support is back (yay) but missing original message #bug

 

Mark,

This morning I sent an email to the support address, about a logged-in location in the Subscription Approval Notice not matching the member's location as stated in her questionnaire response. (I wanted to know what was going on, it was possibly not a bug, and it was inappropriate to post here as a bug since I had to send you the member's detailed information.) I was pleasantly surprised to see that the auto-acknowledgement is back. However, the acknowledgement didn't contain the text of the originally sent message, as it used to. That could make it difficult to locate these emails later, since now there is only the title to search on. Calling this "misc" since it's either a bug (if unintentional) or a suggestion (if intentional).

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

[Mod Note: Changed hashtag to #bug]


moderated Re: Enlarge the vertical size of the "Your Groups" pull-down menu #suggestion

Malcolm Austen
 

I'm still a newbie on groups.io but I have already found the need to scroll the 'Your Grouops' drop-down mildly irritating. Not that it's a serious problem, there are far too many seriously good features to be put off by a little scrolling :-)

My thought, but it may not help others with this concern, is that it might be useful to have (or to have an option to have) only groups listed in the drop-down and to have subgroups on a side menu from the group name. I only have a small number of groups, I appreciate that many others would see little benefit from such a change.

Malcolm.


moderated Re: Message # not working #bug

sarah abbott
 

Mark
 
Last week I changed how we fetched messages from the database, to make it more efficient. This changed how the Message # function worked. Previously, if you typed in a message number, that message would be positioned at the top of the returned page. After the change, it is not guaranteed to appear at the top of the page and most likely will appear in the middle of the page instead. I have set it so that it is now highlighted, with the blue vertical bar, so you should be able to locate it on the page.
 
I know this is not an ideal change. I made this change because the previous way of getting data from the database was becoming very inefficient, leading to slow page loading times. I had to fix it before it got worse and started affecting other aspects of the site.

Thanks. Yes, that works. Not ideal, as you say, because how is anyone to know to scroll down unless they're told to do so, but once one knows, it's fine. I note # of messages to reply to at my convenience, so use this function a lot. I'm sure others do too.

Again, we really appreciate all the hard work behind the scenes. So grateful for this service! We've just had the 20th anniversary of our very active group and the switch over to io went really smoothly.

Sarah
 


moderated Re: suggested change to use hashtag to control sending megs #suggestion

 

That makes sense. But how will you deal with the message list?


On Jan 27, 2020, at 9:13 PM, Ken Kloeber via Groups.Io <KWKloeber@...> wrote:

Replying to wasn't the focus, but of course, options could be "to sender"  or "no replies" or to the "sent-to group" only.
subgroups seem too clunky/restrictive to simply send msgs to admins or the like.

For example, for whatever reason say a group has 4 lists (sometimes members changing), admins, renters, buyers, tire-kickers. 
A SG for each is not useful because it involved subscribing/unsubscribing, and there could be cross-listing (there could be two (but not the same) admins on each list, or there could be plain old members on 2 out of the 4 lists, and 2 on another list, and so on.

thx
K

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 11:37 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Not clear how this would work. What would happen when one of those people replies to the message?
Suggest using a subgroup instead.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: suggested change to use hashtag to control sending megs #suggestion

KWKloeber
 

Replying to wasn't the focus, but of course, options could be "to sender"  or "no replies" or to the "sent-to group" only.
subgroups seem too clunky/restrictive to simply send msgs to admins or the like.

For example, for whatever reason say a group has 4 lists (sometimes members changing), admins, renters, buyers, tire-kickers. 
A SG for each is not useful because it involved subscribing/unsubscribing, and there could be cross-listing (there could be two (but not the same) admins on each list, or there could be plain old members on 2 out of the 4 lists, and 2 on another list, and so on.

thx
K


On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 11:37 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
Not clear how this would work. What would happen when one of those people replies to the message?
Suggest using a subgroup instead.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: suggested change to use hashtag to control sending megs #suggestion

 

Not clear how this would work. What would happen when one of those people replies to the message?
Suggest using a subgroup instead.
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated suggested change to use hashtag to control sending megs #suggestion

KWKloeber
 

Suggest a function, such that adding a #TAG such as #admin_only;  or #Alist_only -- that would limit/control to whom the message would be turned around (posting on the website is not addressed here.)  The msg would be turned around to only mods/owners or a wider use, those on a pre-defined member "list A", in this example.)


moderated Re: Pending subscription message now including location/other info

 

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 05:42 PM, Duane wrote:
I'm talking about the notice I get when someone joins a group that's not restricted.
Oh, gotcha. I misunderstood because you mentioned that you were not using the Pending Notice until recently. Since the Pending Notice only exists in a restricted group, I figured you had a restricted group but were not using the notice.
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

3981 - 4000 of 27737