Date   

moderated Operating a moderated group

David Tuma
 

I set up a moderated group after transferring from Yahoo Groups.  It was pretty simple for members to send me an email to be posted by the moderator - they just replied to the posting or they sent one to me as the owner.  I don't see how to do that with Groups.io.  I've tried sending emails from my non-owner/moderator account but either they get returned because I'm not the owner/moderator or they just don't seem to go anywhere if I send them to the owner.  Where I can find out how to do this.

Also, who does a "special" notice go to and what does it look like when it goes out?

Thank you


moderated Re: email privacy

 

Ellen I am pretty sure I saw an option for masking or not masking, your choice. I’ve made offline friends because I could see their address In the email. I wouldn’t post my personal email to a message board. 
Susan B





Susan B 


On Oct 27, 2019, at 2:50 PM, Ellen Moody <ellen.moody@...> wrote:

Is it true that members of a list cannot see the whole email of other members? As list"owner" (moderator), I can see emails of everyone. I would personally prefer everyone to be able to see one another's emails -- this way if people want to become friends offlist they can. If there is some rule that has been promulgated and prevents this I can say nothing but I prefer openness.  Ellen

Ellen

On Sun, Oct 27, 2019 at 2:43 PM Ant No <cmpaqp1100@...> wrote:
I agree Chris but remember that at the moment owners are trying to rescue a cat from a burning building and IT may not be their forte.

The data Holder, ie groups.io, has a data privacy obligation in law irrespective of how we feel.

Ant👣


locked Re: fees

Ant No
 

I'm trying to be civil and cogent. I politely asked privately. But I feel it reasonable to ask what falsehood or error I'm accused of.  I don't accept ambiguous assertions one cannot or will not clarify.

If I am in error fair enough. We all make mistakes.

I agree it shouldn't be a pi$$ing match but I'm half Vulcan and this is just how I honestly express myself.

I have nothing personal against RCordona I don't know him or her.

The majority of people in these places are genuinely good people even if they disagree sometimes.

I don't take against someone just for disagreeing with me. We all have opinions and that's fine.


moderated Re: email privacy

Ant No
 

You may be right Duane but where is that exemption stated?

In fact my old groups did function that way because the group acted as an anonymising intermediate.

Believe me when I say I have mixed feelings about data privacy interfering with good things like hobby groups.

GDPR is meant to protect individuals from the likes of Facebook, Verzion etc not from small special interest groups like these. However it does not make that distinction.

One should not assume it's all been done for you if you're a group owner. It sounds to me as though it actually has, but the owners share responsibility. Ideally both are aware.

Apart from actually protecting the data being desirable, I seriously doubt any group owner would ever face prosecution. No money in it and group members might get upset and cancel but are very unlikely to sue.

It's one of those legal technicalities that's unlikely to be enforced.


moderated Re: email privacy

Duane
 

On Sun, Oct 27, 2019 at 01:51 PM, Ellen Moody wrote:
Is it true that members of a list cannot see the whole email of other members?
Unless you make the Members List available to Subscribers, no one can see it.  They can put themselves in the group Directory, if you've enabled that, with information that they want other members to see.  If they don't add themselves, they also can't see any that are there.  Any email that is sent to people, either individual or digest, will have the email address of the person that posted it (that's the nature of email lists ;>)

BTW, GDPR does NOT apply to email lists because they couldn't function.  The site is in compliance though.

Duane


moderated Re: email privacy

Ellen Moody
 

I presume the members were or are told (somewhere on the site). I did not set up my listserv. I can only repeat what I said.  Ellen


On Sun, Oct 27, 2019 at 3:11 PM Ant No <cmpaqp1100@...> wrote:
Hello Ellen

In an ideal world you are of course correct.

In this world data is harvested for profit which leads to spam and an undesirable level of covert surveillance.

For this reason Europe has enacted data protection laws that apply to any data held on European citizens regardless of where the servers are situated.

Names with emails are such data.

Members who wish to converse directly may choose to exchange emails through the existing channels with no special effort on anyone's part.

As you control whether that data is available it is also your legal responsibility to ensure each member has an informed choice on how their data is made available.

Regards

Ant


locked Re: fees

KWKloeber
 

Is there a way we can discuss issues w/o it turning into pi$$ing matches and turning into a locked topic so that it shuts down conversation?  Is it possible that we can act as adults.


locked Re: categorisation

Ant No
 

Well, objectively, you can't call something wholly unnecessary when there are many thousands of of groups to get through.

The search function is fine if you are on rails and know what you want to find. But strolling through the landscape to see what unanticipated wonder you stumble across also has merit.

An important point is that you can choose not to use it and include all categories in your sort or search. So you lose nothing while others gain something. It limits nothing and adds flexibility.

It's about the greatest choice for the greatest number. You can still do things your way. Those that want to can do it another way.

Ant


locked Re: fees

Ant No
 

You're forcing me to discuss this here against my wishes.

Defend your assertion of false information.


moderated Re: email privacy

Ant No
 

Hello Ellen

In an ideal world you are of course correct.

In this world data is harvested for profit which leads to spam and an undesirable level of covert surveillance.

For this reason Europe has enacted data protection laws that apply to any data held on European citizens regardless of where the servers are situated.

Names with emails are such data.

Members who wish to converse directly may choose to exchange emails through the existing channels with no special effort on anyone's part.

As you control whether that data is available it is also your legal responsibility to ensure each member has an informed choice on how their data is made available.

Regards

Ant


moderated OT: requesting special notices from Mark

 

I had to go special-notice because of the power blackout (need to limit phone usage due to battery life and no internet). Mark, if there are any genetal system messages you want everybody to get, it would be great if you could send them as special notices for the next few days (you may be doing that anyway, I don’t know). I’ll see you all again when the lights are back on. 🐱


--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu
Note on an occupational hazard: I comment frequently in beta based on my desire for the betterment of groups.io as a product. Only a fraction of the time are my comments and suggestions specifically a matter of self-interest. Don't assume the latter when the former may be the case.


locked Re: fees

Ant No
 

I've contacted you privately as this was intended just for Mark.

Deleting it now would suggest I don't stand by my perspective. I do.

Ant👣


moderated Re: email privacy

Ellen Moody
 

Is it true that members of a list cannot see the whole email of other members? As list"owner" (moderator), I can see emails of everyone. I would personally prefer everyone to be able to see one another's emails -- this way if people want to become friends offlist they can. If there is some rule that has been promulgated and prevents this I can say nothing but I prefer openness.  Ellen

Ellen

On Sun, Oct 27, 2019 at 2:43 PM Ant No <cmpaqp1100@...> wrote:
I agree Chris but remember that at the moment owners are trying to rescue a cat from a burning building and IT may not be their forte.

The data Holder, ie groups.io, has a data privacy obligation in law irrespective of how we feel.

Ant👣


moderated Re: email privacy

Ant No
 

I agree Chris but remember that at the moment owners are trying to rescue a cat from a burning building and IT may not be their forte.

The data Holder, ie groups.io, has a data privacy obligation in law irrespective of how we feel.

Ant👣


locked Re: categorisation

RCardona
 

I disagree as well. . . categorizing groups is wholly unnecessary and too limiting.  

This is why there is a search query.   It is not unreasonable for users to review search pulls to find points of interest.  


locked Re: categorisation

Ant No
 

Thank you Duane.

I will read that.

In advance I would point out that the sudden increase in size of the groups list is an important new variable.


locked Re: categorisation

Ant No
 

Hello Rich

You seem to miss the point being made.

No one wants to pigeonhole you. Rather enable you to find all the different groups that might interest your eclectic self.

A group not fitting any of the specific topics suggested would just be other as listed. One of the first groups I'd search through.

Or you could suggest a category.

It's not about importance it's just about practical ways to find all the groups that interest you.

You may love amateur radio but I'm neutral on it but forced to wade through group after group in the search for other things.

There is no doubt there are allready thousands of groups with many more to come.

It's unreasonable to expect people to wade through a single list for fear of missing a group they want.

I'm not judging anything. I just want a search method I can use without devoting days to it.

Practicality not ideology.


locked fees

Ant No
 

You don't have to post this Mark, I've just learned your name as I've read around a bit more, I know my posts are currently moderated and you closed the last fee thread for good reason.

As feedback, for whatever my singular opinion is worth. Fees should not be based on member numbers, a poll tax in effect. One of the few things the British people have ever rioted over.

They should be based on whether the group is commercial and charges/makes money and on the actual resource usage in practice. I currently belong to quite a few groups and a fee for each would be untenable.

I understand you need to expand your hardware and bandwidth, but those are both prorata and comparable to costs for supporting preexisting groups. So an overnight doubling of fees is hard to understand purely on a cost basis.

Of course you are having to work very hard currently but that load per worker/cost per group would still be the same if you increased staff to meet demand.

The timing, mid crisis, is particularly unfortunate and can't help but suggest a demand economy model rather than a costs plus profit model. No combination of words will change that perception by people effected by it. They may not articulate it but they know what they feel.

One is usury and the other is capatilism with at least the possibility of a social conscience.

It's easy for a fee collecting group unaffected by the change to relentlessly and smugly seriously belittle people she feels don't share her clever foresight.

I'm sure that when she isn't being loyal and defending you she's actually lovely.

I forget who but calling poor people, who can't pay a fee, deadwood is deeply offensive.

The people forced into short notice change are the actual victims here, mostly of yahoo but also of your mid crisis policy change.

It's not your fault yahoo gave such short notice but it's not Yahoo's fault you raised your fees. So people are not blaming you for Yahoo's actions as suggested.

I have personally recommended this platform to two of the groups I am in. One of the group owners has four or five small groups. So I have some ego and reputation staked in this sudden policy change.

I admire your attitude and willingness to halt and even reverse changes. You express yourself very well. Far more personable than myself. But Mark Zuckerberg is plausible so that only goes so far.

I've seen institution after institution start with high moral assertions about community and end up maximising profit and squeezing as much as they can get away with. eBay would be a good example.

I'm sure you will consider things carefully. I believe you should consider halting mid crisis price hikes for non moneymaking groups.

Whatever the outcome I hope groups.io can retain the good name it has built up and that no precious archive of knowledge is lost forever because of financial constraints.

Burning the library down is an ignoble act whether Alexandria, Nazis or anytime knowledge is preventably destroyed. Profit is an even poorer motive than ideology.

Just my perspective.

I do wish you well despite my civil critique.

Ant👣


moderated Narrow formatting in Digests?

Phil Smith III
 

I started this on GMF and folks suggested it would be better here.

groups.io seems very nice so far except for one thing: Digests are formatted in silly narrow columns. WebTV is long dead; why would anyone want to waste screen real estate like this? Makes it much harder to read.

One of the respondents suggested:
>It looks like the formatting design is contained in the HTML code, to

>fit nicely under the Groups IO graphic, which will be a fixed size. It's
>not difficult to change this, but it's something Groups IO codewriters
>will have to do.

I've attached a small screenshot of what I mean. Note the whitespace on either side, with the scrollbar wayyy off to the right.



moderated Re: email privacy

Chris Jones
 

On Sun, Oct 27, 2019 at 02:40 PM, Ant No wrote:
The owner being threatened by cancellation admitted he didn't know how to change it.
Well Duane's post has pointed him or her in the right direction. It might be worth pointing out that Member Directory does not show subscribers' email addresses; it is Members Visible that is the critical setting.

Obviously a lot of groups have been set up from scratch in the last few days and it is thus highly likely that some settings might not be, shall we say... optimised. It is just a personal opinion but I firmly believe that Owners and Moderators have a duty to themselves and their members to take the time to familiarise themselves with all the various settings and functions available to a group so that they can better respond to any queries that arise. That familiarisation is most definitely not a half - hour task.

Getting settings "right" for any group can be made easier by an owner / moderator having a second subscription to a group as an "ordinary" member. This provides the facility of being able to see things from a member's point of view; this can be very different from what an owner or moderator sees. The only minor downside is that the second membership cannot be within the same account because a person's account is "defined" by their email address, and a second membership therefore requires a different email address, and thus a second account.

"Getting things right" is also a good reason for having a moderator elevated to Owner status, or as close to it as an owner is willing to tolerate given that the second person has to be someone in whom the owner has complete and unshakeable trust. It provides the ability to put heads together over any query that arises and as the old saying has it two heads are better than one. (As I type this GMF has 2225 heads!) It also means that the owner can be absent for a time (e.g. on holiday) without a group losing any of its management functions.

Chris