Date   

moderated Re: Finding posts by a member

 

On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 08:13 PM, Shal Farley wrote:
from a UI design standpoint Mark should likely be moving towards making it unnecessary to see and use arcana such as the posterid number, useful though it is right now.
Well, the posterid is displayed every time you search on all the member's posts (as I'm sure you know), and since it's the only search criterion that's guaranteed to be unique to the member's posts, I don't think this is an arcane thing at all. Mark can make it "seeable" while still "unnecessary to use." Nobody would have to use it. And it would soon become clear to anyone who DOES click on it that it brings up all the member's posts, and that you can enter "posterid:xyz" into the search box any time you want, if you happen to save a certain member's id. I would not try (futilely, since it comes up anyway) to hide this from users. On the contrary, I would try to make it easier to see.
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: Date column in Pending Approval (Members) should be "Applied"

 

On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 08:00 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Up until about half an hour ago, when you took someone who was a member of your group and then banned them, we didn't reset the date field that we use for the 'Banned' column. So that date will still refer to when that person applied or joined.
Mark, that's fascinating, because the only reason I brought up this issue was that I noticed that that date displayed WAS the date of banning, not the date the member joined (even before a half an hour ago) but was labelled "joined." I distinctly made note of several banned members who displayed that banned date (in one case, a very recent banning, vs. having joined years ago), which was why I complained about the discrepancy! This is very odd. Could it have been an inadvertent/unnoticed prior bug? 

I don't think that whether you show the banned or the joined date matters in the banned list. I just wanted the labelling to be accurate, and it wasn't. If, as you say, that before a half hour ago, the "joined" date was shown, and was labelled "joined," then there would have been no problem. But unless I'm totally losing it (always a possibility), that was not the case. 

Very odd.
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: Finding posts by a member

 

J,

If there's room, I think a separate "posterid" column would be great.
I'd probably like that better than adding clutter to the email column. At least it would be a different number in each row.

But from a UI design standpoint Mark should likely be moving towards making it unnecessary to see and use arcana such as the posterid number, useful though it is right now.

Maybe a column of tool icons, a magnifying glass for "All Posts by This Member" and an envelope for "Send Message".

Yes, I know that Send Message is in the Actions menu, but I'm probably not the only one that finds that non-intuitive when you want to send a message to a single individual. Yes, I know that "Send Message" is already a button on the subscription page, but so is "Activity History" and that doesn't seem to be enough for some.

Shal


moderated Re: Date column in Pending Approval (Members) should be "Applied"

 

On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 7:34 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
Mark, great, that's what I would have thought. But in that case I still don't understand which date you said would be "incorrect." ?

Up until about half an hour ago, when you took someone who was a member of your group and then banned them, we didn't reset the date field that we use for the 'Banned' column. So that date will still refer to when that person applied or joined. Now, if you ban an existing member, that date field is reset and will accurately reflect the time of banning. (Remember, this does not apply to people you ban who were not already members of your group; those dates have always been 'correct').

Mark 


moderated Re: Finding posts by a member

 

Mark,

searching or viewing all members). Would this additional link (or
clutter to some) be worthwhile?
Clutter to me, as I don't find the click to open the subscription page to be that obscure or onerous for a function that I really don't think is or would be so frequently used as to merit placement in the list itself.

That said, I'd recommend using the text of the email address itself as the link, with a tooltip that says "All Posts by This Member" (for consistency with the wording in the Profile and in the Messages). It has the advantage of not consuming additional real estate.

My only concern with that choice is that we may later have a better use for a link on the email address. For example, some might think that the address would be better used as a short-cut to Send Message instead.

I don't really like the idea of adding a decoration (button/badge) after the email address because it would be on /every/ address in the list. The very definition of clutter. If you do add one, make it small like just the magnifying glass icon, and keep it black on white so it doesn't become a jarring jagged column of color down that column.

Shal


moderated Re: Finding posts by a member

 

On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 07:28 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Where should this link go? In the email column, after any badges?
If there's room, I think a separate "posterid" column would be great. But no strong feelings about this one way or the other about where it should go, as long as it's in the member list.
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: Date column in Pending Approval (Members) should be "Applied"

 

Mark, great, that's what I would have thought. But in that case I still don't understand which date you said would be "incorrect." ?
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: Date column in Pending Approval (Members) should be "Applied"

 

On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 7:28 PM J_Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:
On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 07:13 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
From #2, however, that means that this date will be incorrect for previously banned people (it will refer to their join/applied date).

Mark, this all sounds great but I'm confused about the above. In fact, I'm so confused that I'm having trouble even formulating a question. Let me try a couple of them:
(1) What happens if a previously banned email address which was never agroup member is unbanned - I assume the record is simply removed from the banned list at the date of the unbanning, so nobody ever sees this "incorrect" date again anyway?

If someone was never a group member in the first place, and you banned them by entering their email address in the Ban text field, the Banned date will be correct, because we created a new subscription record (with a banned status) for that person to track the ban.

When you unban someone, we delete the subscription record completely.
 

(2) What happens if a previously banned email address is unbanned and then becomes a group member - i assume the date then refers to the Join/Approved (you said "Join/applied"?) date in the group, which is actually correct???

When unbanning someone, the subscription record (with the banned status) is deleted. If they then re-apply, an entirely new subscription is created, so the date will be correct.

Hope this helps.
Mark


moderated Re: Finding posts by a member

 

On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 06:50 PM, Gerald Boutin wrote:
Does anyone really even care what the posterid is?

Isn't the point of the original request to make it easier to search on posts by a particular member? Looking up a posterid is not my idea of intuitive. I am all for adding a "search by author" by partial name or email to the Search function.
Nobody cares much, but if used in the member display, (a) you would not HAVE to look it up, and (b) you COULD make note of it for any given member if you wanted to. For example, I've listed the posterid of the vet specialist in our group in one of our wiki pages, so that people can easily look up any of his posts.
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: Finding posts by a member

 

On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 07:28 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
I think this would be solved if I added a link to view all posts by a member in each line of the member display
Yes! That's in essence what I was suggesting before, by suggesting adding a clickable link to the posterid in the member list. I think using the posterid for that field/link might be the most intuitive (and provide the greatest value, in case anyone wanted to make note of the id), but of course anything would work.

This would be extremely useful. Searching for all of a member's posts is something that I, and no doubt many other, owners/mods do very very often. Being able to go directly to it for any member, directly from the member list, would be very valuable.
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: Date column in Pending Approval (Members) should be "Applied"

 

On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 07:13 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
From #2, however, that means that this date will be incorrect for previously banned people (it will refer to their join/applied date).

Mark, this all sounds great but I'm confused about the above. In fact, I'm so confused that I'm having trouble even formulating a question. Let me try a couple of them:
(1) What happens if a previously banned email address which was never agroup member is unbanned - I assume the record is simply removed from the banned list at the date of the unbanning, so nobody ever sees this "incorrect" date again anyway?
(2) What happens if a previously banned email address is unbanned and then becomes a group member - i assume the date then refers to the Join/Approved (you said "Join/applied"?) date in the group, which is actually correct???
I have no idea what you mean here!

 In any case, I'll start a new thread about the past member list issue.

Thanks.
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: Finding posts by a member

 

On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 11:34 AM D R Stinson <dano@...> wrote:

Would it be possible to have that search option after we select a member in the member search?

I think this would be solved if I added a link to view all posts by a member in each line of the member display (the code is the same for searching or viewing all members). Would this additional link (or clutter to some) be worthwhile?

UI Question:
- Where should this link go? In the email column, after any badges?

Thanks,
Mark 


moderated Re: Finding posts by a member

 

Dano,

Would it be possible to have that search option after we select a
member in the member search?
As explained in GMF, the list of postings by that member is only one step away once you've opened the member's subscription page. Or two clicks if you go by way of the member's profile.
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum/message/15620

Alternately, would it be possible to have the option under message
search to search for sender, probably including email address?
I concur with the general desire to have more tools (filters) in message search, including the ability to search on the From address or Display Name of the messages. That would benefit members and not just moderators with access to the members list.

Shal


moderated Re: Date column in Pending Approval (Members) should be "Applied"

 

Hi All,

I've made the following changes:

- For restricted groups, when viewing members, the column is now labelled Applied
- When banning someone that was already a member, we did not reset the Created date on the subscription record. We do that now, so the date now reflects when the person was banned.
- When viewing banned members, the column is now labelled Banned. From #2, however, that means that this date will be incorrect for previously banned people (it will refer to their join/applied date).

J, please start a separate topic for the past members issue. Off-hand I don't know what the right answer is for that.

Thanks,
Mark


moderated Re: Finding posts by a member

Gerald Boutin <groupsio@...>
 

Does anyone really even care what the posterid is?

Isn't the point of the original request to make it easier to search on posts by a particular member? Looking up a posterid is not my idea of intuitive. I am all for adding a "search by author" by partial name or email to the Search function.

--
Gerald


moderated Re: Finding posts by a member

 

I see the problem being that this is such an obtuse process. Why should working through things on groups.io feel like working through arcane rituals? Why is it wrong to want something simple and straightforward? I don't feel like having to work through all the degrees and memorizing all the rituals to do something that should be simple and straightforward.

Bruce - don't criticize the reader if you didn't make it clear enough to begin with. In my opinion, if things like this take more than a sentence to explain, the system isn't being terribly friendly to the lay user. I truly don't believe Mark's intent is to make things complex, but we seem to have some members who don't recognize that.

Dano

----- Original Message -----


On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 04:38 PM, J_Catlady wrote:

This is still a lot of steps, and, like Dano, I frequently find myself annoyed by the fact that this info takes so many steps to find.
I believe Dano did not read my response carefully, believing this to be a 3-step process, when it is actually three different ways to do the same thing.

Although I acknowledge that none are particularly convenient, I do find myself wondering if a fourth way is really necessary.

Regards,
Bruce


moderated Re: Finding posts by a member

 

Depends what you mean by necessary. I can say that I’ve been bothered by the current inconvenience and outright awkwardness  in finding all posts by a member. So whether Dano misunderstood you or not, if this conversation results in an easy-to-implement improvement, that seems like a good thing.


On Mar 17, 2019, at 4:56 PM, Bruce Bowman <bruce.bowman@...> wrote:

On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 04:38 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
This is still a lot of steps, and, like Dano, I frequently find myself annoyed by the fact that this info takes so many steps to find.
I believe Dano did not read my response carefully, believing this to be a 3-step process, when it is actually three different ways to do the same thing. 

Although I acknowledge that none are particularly convenient, I do find myself wondering if a fourth way is really necessary.

Regards,
Bruce

--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: Finding posts by a member

Bruce Bowman
 

On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 04:38 PM, J_Catlady wrote:
This is still a lot of steps, and, like Dano, I frequently find myself annoyed by the fact that this info takes so many steps to find.
I believe Dano did not read my response carefully, believing this to be a 3-step process, when it is actually three different ways to do the same thing. 

Although I acknowledge that none are particularly convenient, I do find myself wondering if a fourth way is really necessary.

Regards,
Bruce


moderated Re: Finding posts by a member

 

On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 01:32 PM, Duane wrote:
click on View Profile at the top, then on All Posts By This Member just below their join info.  If you hover over that link, it will give you their posterid.
I don't think that hovering over All Posts By This Member gives you the posterid, although it does come up if you actually click on the link to find the posts, in which case the posterid is unnecessary anyway. However, I think including the posterid explicitly somewhere easily accessible is a good idea on general principle, and I think including it in the member list would actually be helpful.
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu


moderated Re: Finding posts by a member

 

On Sun, Mar 17, 2019 at 01:32 PM, Duane wrote:
Okay, you've found the person and are looking at their member information.  Now click on View Profile at the top, then on All Posts By This Member just below their join info.  If you hover over that link, it will give you their posterid.
This is still a lot of steps, and, like Dano, I frequently find myself annoyed by the fact that this info takes so many steps to find. I think including the posterid in the member list would be a significant improvement in convenience and speed.

I'd have told you this in GMF if you hadn't gotten so impatient.
I'm not in GMF but I find no reason to chastise Dano, or anyone, for "impatience" by making a request here. I personally find the request very reasonable.
 
--
J

Messages are the sole opinion of the author, especially the fishy ones.
My humanity is bound up in yours, for we can only be human together. - Desmond Tutu

8941 - 8960 of 29117