Date   

locked Re: Cover photo

Linda
 

Hi Mark,
I'd prefer the image centered over the text below it.
https://groups.io/org/groupsio/1A-Travelzine

I think Message History is knocking the page out of whack. Can you put the cells closer together so the width is the same as the text above?

Since "It doesn't rely on a specific image size", you'll want to change the upload instructions on this page.
https://groups.io/org/groupsio/GROUPNAME/coverphoto

Thanks,
Linda


locked Re: [owlperch] To Duane, Matthew, Shal & Tyger

Nightowl >8#
 

Shal wrote:>>The weird thing is that Brenda claims that her reply to me was made through owlperch, yet posted to beta. There's absolutely no mention of beta, nor ID of any beta messages, in the header fields of my cross-posted reply. That's too weird, I have to assume that Brenda was mistaken, and she actually replied in the Beta group, but thought it was owlperch because the subject tag said [owlperch].<<

That was the weirdest part. One minute I was replying to Message #42 I think it was, and I clearly saw message #42 where I was replying, and then when I sent it, it jumped me to the Beta group. When I went to hit next, the messages were in the 1080's or so, and I KNEW that was NOT right, cause Owlperch didn't have that many messages. If I was in the Beta tab, why would I see Message #42?

Had that happen once in NEO, shifted me straight out of one group into another, but have no idea why it happened here.

And John checked my headers, and my message appeared to be sent from Owlperch.

Weirder and weirder. I'll keep an eye on it, and try not to let it happen again.

Brenda


locked Re: [owlperch] To Duane, Matthew, Shal & Tyger

 

Mark,

So, if we get an email, with a message-id in the references list that
we've never seen before, we think we've gotten an out of order reply,
and that we should expect to see the original message at some point.
Wouldn't this be an ordinary result with a cross-posted reply? Cross-posting ought to be more commonly forwarded messages than replies, but _users do the darndest things_ (to paraphrase Art Linkletter). I've often bcc'd a group reply to a friend, but probably not too often to another group or list.

We put a 'placeholder' message in the database that corresponds to this
message we haven't seen before. It's empty, and it doesn't show up in
archives, but it does have a message number. When we see the original
message, we replace the placeholder with the original, and we're good.
Why? Just to prevent the rare case of a message number being out of order in the thread? Or are the threads actually sorted by message number and its the message that would be presented out of order?

What happened in this case is that Shal replied to an email in a
different group. Therefore, his message had in the references a
message-id that the group owlperch had never seen.
Other way around. The reply was to a message in owlperch. But the reply got cross-posted somehow into beta. It is beta which would never have seen the ID in that reply's References (and In-Reply-To).

The weird thing is that Brenda claims that her reply to me was made through owlperch, yet posted to beta. There's absolutely no mention of beta, nor ID of any beta messages, in the header fields of my cross-posted reply. That's too weird, I have to assume that Brenda was mistaken, and she actually replied in the Beta group, but thought it was owlperch because the subject tag said [owlperch].

-- Shal


locked Re: POLL: Change Archives to Messages?

Nightowl >8#
 

Interesting information. And in many ways I agree. :)


However, the people we are trying to bring over here will be completely confused by tje term archive. Add that to the fact that every thing else says message number, message so and so, this message or that one, and well, messages is still the best fit.


Brenda


locked Re: [owlperch] To Duane, Matthew, Shal & Tyger

 

Mark,

I looked through the logs. At 12:46am pacific time, we received an
inbound smtp connection from RoadRunner. In the one connection, both
emails were sent, one after the other. The beta message was sent first,
owlperch was second.
Interesting. Looking at the View Source in both groups, the header fields have byte-identical content, which makes sense I guess given that they came in on the same connection. Identical ID means that Roadrunner thought they were the same message, which isn't a surprise (that would still be true if I had done something like a BCC).

But the order of the fields is radically different, which is weird.

Were there any other messages in that connection? My prior message to beta, #1096, went out in the same batch from Eudora to Roadrunner, and its timestamp is only one second earlier in your server's Received from Roadrunner, strongly implying that it might have been in the same connection.

Is it possible there was a glitch during the connection between Roadrunner and your server, causing Roadrunner to think the first attempt at the owlperch delivery failed, but your server accepted it and somehow mistakenly applied the destination address of the prior message in the connection?

Nightmare scenario I'm sure. This makes me all the more suspicious of those "duplicate message" bounces I received. I think those may represent three more instances of the same glitch, but those were caught because the same group was the destination.

-- Shal


locked Re: POLL: Change Archives to Messages?

 

On 1/23/2015 5:42 PM, JohnF via GROUPS.IO wrote:
I prefer "Messages" to "Archives" as well. Archives comes from the
listserv practice where it's assumed everyone gets mail, and no one has
to look at old messages unless they're really wanting to look at OLD
messages. Messages is better when there may be some people who don't
get mail and just want to read on the web.
Can I add a "like" or a "+1" to John's message?

8-)

dg


locked Re: Replying to messages

 

On 1/23/2015 5:08 PM, J. Faulkner wrote:
Dianna, you might want to read all of my messages on this subject. I didn't say to code it so that's what happens. I said to give us capability to reply at the top of that message or at the bottom.
Okay - I think that's easy to do without having Mark
program it.

If you are replying from your own email program, then
you can set your preferences.

If from the web site - if he has it set to bottom -
scroll to the top, delete irrelevant portions, and
with your cursor in the upper left corner, hit enter
a couple of times - that will give you blank area to
enter your reply at the top.

dg
(with the caveat that some of the comments on how to
make the .io groups work better are specific to the
fact that us geezers are reading. While some folks
my age may not be computer literate (I'm 62 - and a
lot of my classmates confound me on things like - oh -
they forget their password so the set up a new account),
a lot of us have been working with "networked interaction"
for 25 or more years - and prefer *not* to have top
posting.)


locked Re: POLL: Change Archives to Messages?

David P. Dillard
 

One of the definitions of archive (words often have a number of meanings) is:

"a collection of information permanently stored on the Internet"


http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/archive


Importantly, the word archive gives a sense of messages or records or documents ranging over a period of time. The term messages has less of the concept of a collection of posts in chronological order that represent the sharings of a discussion group.


Message

Digital Technology. a post or reply on an online message board.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/message?s=t

I strongly believe the word archive is a much better fit and indeed a search of Google shows over 17,000 hits for the phrase "discussion group archives.


http://tinyurl.com/pgmbuo6


Furthermore, a collection of all the messages of a group is in fact a collection of documents and a historical archive.




Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jwne@temple.edu

On Fri, 23 Jan 2015, Linda Star-Freedman wrote:

YES please. Thank you, Mark!
Linda


locked Re: accessing groups.io

 

No idea.  I would have her try a full-on https://groups.io and also make sure she's not typing a ".com" on the end.

I'm sure there's a way to get Chrome to come up with some diagnostics explaining why it's having problems, but as I don't use it, I can't say exactly how.

JohnF



locked accessing groups.io

 

I have asked people in one of my groups to sign up with groups.io.  One of the members tried by typing in groups.io.  When I gave her the link to this group, she tried that as well.  She ends up with a "?" in front of the url and doesn't know what's going on.  She's not very literate when it comes to this kind of stuff; but, she would like to get a feel for groups.io; but, it seems that she is unable to do so.  Is there a reason that she can't access groups.io?  She uses Windows 8.1 and Google Chrome for her browser.  I would like to help her; but, I only use an old iMac.  If anybody has any ideas or suggestions let me know. 


Donna


locked Re: Replying to messages

Judy F.
 

Thanks Shal, that's exactly what I mean.

Judy F.
SW Florida - USA

-----Original Message-----
From: Shal Farley [mailto:shal@roadrunner.com]
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2015 8:19 PM
To: beta@groups.io
Subject: Re: [beta] Replying to messages

Judy,

> Maybe you are saying what I am hoping for and terminology is > getting
in the way. I want to be able to include the last reply to > the original
message.

I think it is terminology. I didn't intend to refer to the message that
happened to start the thread (a different context for "original", forget I
used that word).

As you scroll down the thread on Groups.io, note that each message in the
thread has its own Reply link. It is the text of the one you click on that I
think will be copied in as a quote in the Reply edit box that opens up below
that message.

-- Shal


locked Re: Moderation issues & is it a bug? #bug

Judy F.
 

Brenda, I totally agree about separating the two Moderator privileges. 

 

Judy F.

SW Florida - USA

 

From: Feathered Leader [mailto:featheredleader@...]
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2015 6:26 PM
To: beta@groups.io
Subject: [beta] Moderation issues & is it a bug? #bugs

 

Mark,

Last night I used the new button for approve post and unmoderate member in MMSanctuary. However, when I went to the member's details, they were still on moderation and I had to manually unmoderate the member.

Is this a bug or was it just not working yet?

Also, is it possible to separate the two moderator privileges "Modify Group Settings" & "Delete Group?"

I would feel more comfortable if only the owner(s) could delete the group, but I was trying to give someone the ability to modify group settings.

Thanks

Brenda


locked Re: Replying to messages

Judy F.
 

Thanks so much Mark.  I’m sure your list is getting longer and longer. 

 

 

Judy F.

SW Florida - USA

 

From: Mark Fletcher [mailto:markf@corp.groups.io]
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2015 1:04 PM
To: beta@groups.io
Subject: Re: [beta] Re: Replying to messages

 

(Reply to several messages in this thread)

 

Several good ideas, I've updated the 'Messages and Archives' todo list with:

 

CC/BCC in Group Post

Reply directly to the sender

Link in message footer to 'Reply on the web'

Quote the original message in a reply

When clicking on reply, possibly scroll up slightly to expose the reply box

 

Thanks,

Mark

 

On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 8:01 AM, CatWoman <diana@...> wrote:

On 1/22/2015 10:39 PM, J. Faulkner wrote:

It allows me to reply at the top so when someone reads my reply, they
see it first and don’t have to hunt for it further down in the message.


If you are talking about a message - and "top posting" - I disagree.

I know that is the "new way" - most mail clients have the default as
top posting, but my problem with that is that in order to find out
what the person is replying to - I have to go search the message.

If you put just the specific thing you are responding to on top,
then you read that first, and then the response, as you see here.

It's a more natural way to read than response first.

dg



 


locked Re: Easy yahoo group transfer instructions

 

JohnF,

I'd like to echo what others have said that anyone wanting to move a
group needs to have that trusted owner make a group announcement. If
I just received that groups.io transfer announcement out of the blue,
I would assume it was a spam/scam.
I think that need is served in (2) of Step 2, when the Yahoo Group owner (moderator) must send an email to Groups.io saying "I'm ready to start". Part of being ready would be to have alerted the membership.

So perhaps in the email sent to OLDGROUP-owner@yahoogroups.com, either before or after item 1, there should be a reminder to be kind to the members by giving them a heads up.

-- Shal


locked Re: Cover photo

Cacky B
 

I like it.  I'm going to have to re-do some parts of mine, but I prefer the overall effect that you've accomplished.
Cacky

On 1/23/2015 6:37 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
All,

I've made a couple changes to the Group Home page. I moved the text (group title and address) out of the image, below it. 

More importantly, I changed how the cover image was being scaled. I think this is better and will be easier for people to deal with. It doesn't rely on a specific image size; it dynamically resizes and does not crop.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
Mark




This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com



locked Re: Moderation issues & is it a bug? #bug

Cacky B
 

I had the same problem.  Click on the member's name or the email address.
Cacky

On 1/23/2015 5:47 PM, Knytt Wytch wrote:
Mark,I may be daft but I can't see how to make a member a moderator


On 23 January 2015 at 23:46, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 23, 2015 at 3:26 PM, Feathered Leader <featheredleader@...> wrote:

Last night I used the new button for approve post and unmoderate member in MMSanctuary. However, when I went to the member's details, they were still on moderation and I had to manually unmoderate the member.

Is this a bug or was it just not working yet?

 It's definitely working. I think I see the instance where you tried to use it. For some reason it didn't think the subscriber was on modified status. I've added more logging and will track it..

Also, is it possible to separate the two moderator privileges "Modify Group Settings" & "Delete Group?"

Added to the todo list.

Thanks,
Mark 





This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com



locked Re: Easy yahoo group transfer instructions

 

I'd like to echo what others have said that anyone wanting to move a group needs to have that trusted owner make a group announcement.  If I just received that groups.io transfer announcement out of the blue, I would assume it was a spam/scam.

I'm not sure how you're downloading the member list, but when I look at it (as a non-moderator) and View Source, I can see owners tagged with a "yg-sprite tip owner-img" class you could use, if you do it that way.

I always like to think of what sorts of evil things that troublemakers could do, and in this case, it would be signing in as other members of the group and registering passwords for them before the actual group members got a chance.  So for group migrations, you would definitely have to send out a verification mail when someone wants to set up a password.  (Maybe you do this already.  I've forgotten.)

JohnF



locked Re: Easy yahoo group transfer instructions

 

Mark, would it be good to perhaps have the last line say "If you have any questions, please contact support@groups.io or the group owner (insert owner's name) at [GROUPNAME]+owner@groups.io ." ?? That way, members would be able to contact a person they knew. This is mostly just an idea I thought I'd bounce out. -- Dano


locked Re: Cover photo

 

I think it's good to get the writing off the group image, as that only works well with certain images.  However, I think there should be an option for no scaling at all.  As an example, we had a family group on Yahoo, and when something major happened to a certain family member, we would change the group image to be one of that person.  Stretching or squashing that image would just ruin it, and it's too much work to photo edit everything we'd want to put up.

JohnF



locked Re: POLL: Change Archives to Messages?

 

I prefer "Messages" to "Archives" as well.  Archives comes from the listserv practice where it's assumed everyone gets mail, and no one has to look at old messages unless they're really wanting to look at OLD messages.  Messages is better when there may be some people who don't get mail and just want to read on the web.

JohnF