locked Re: Preventing Reply to Group/Sender mixups

On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 07:17 am, Brian Vogel wrote:
While I can envision use in other scenarios, when it comes to a web-based forum or very forum-like medium, the user should not be the one doing the explicit addressing, the responding mechanism itself is what assigns that.

I actually now agree with this. That's how PM'ing works. I think I was over-generalizing the use of the proposed function. However, believe it or not, I *have* seen instances of otherwise-intelligent group members thinking their "reply to sender" message was going to the OP when they simply clicked on the last response in the thread. As you can imagine, this can cause much chagrin. So I would at least prefer that the name of the recipient be shown to the user for verification. As you know, this will not conform 100% to PMs in a forum. My idea, at least, is that (as Jennifer first suggested, and Mark asked for thoughts on) at least the user will make the choice of forum or private before clicking on "reply" as a single word. The rest are details to me.

It's dumb to buy smart water.