locked Re: Preventing Reply to Group/Sender mixups

On Tue, Jul 5, 2016 at 06:19 am, Brian Vogel wrote:
If, upon hitting a reply link or button you are forced to actively choose your recipient that's still more than enough to satisfy the "before you start composing" cognitive requirement.

Yes, it's a little better. But, as you say:

In the final analysis, though, it is far better to stick with the well-worn convention that a "Reply" button in a web forum interface meaning "make my reply to the group" and a separate mechanism entirely for any form of "off group" messaging,--

The reason I feel that the specification of the recipient is important (or at least, part of what I think is the best solution - a "separate mechanism") is not because of the issue of the "unteachables" not understanding who their message is going to. As I said, that is much less important. The reason I include the specification of the recipient is because I envision a general PM function that can be used elsewhere besides the "reply to forum post" context. In other scenarios, the explicit designation of the recipient is important. So I lump it together.

It's dumb to buy smart water.