locked Re: Preventing Reply to Group/Sender mixups AND quoted messages #bug

Maria

On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 at 05:19 pm, Brian Vogel wrote:
I can't imagine the purpose of a group where the default amounts to private e-mailing from person to person with minimal sharing with the group.  It defeats the whole idea of an online group.  This would be so simply "implemented" by having the good, old-fashioned "PM by clicking on profile link" method.  Clearly, however, others differ.

In our case we have on group that's transactional in nature, like all the freecycle groups, so it really doesn't warrant group replies. I've dreamt about marketplace / etsy type subgroups... but will leave that for its own thread.

But I belong to another group that is indeed discussion based BUT because they have so many very active members, their default reply is to sender. The admins do this because the abundance of replies would a) overwhelm the mods and b) end up being duplicative (because if you read by email, you may not see that someone has already shared same thought/answer as you do because of the inherent delay in digests). In that group the person who posted will do a summary of replies received offline if others ask for one.

I'm sure there are many other scenarios where this flexibility and versatility of use would come in handy.

Maria