locked Re: Preventing Reply to Group/Sender mixups AND quoted messages #bug

On Mon, Jul 4, 2016 at 04:52 pm, Shal Farley wrote:
I think Brian mentioned that he would expect (and prefer) that a PM be a wholly separate thing: not carry in the subject line nor a quote from the original message. If that's what you're imagining

It is NOT what I'm proposing or imagining. I'm nowhere near that level of detail yet. You can do that, you can not do it. Doesn't matter. (And I think you/we probably DO want to do it.) I'm proposing ("imagining") only that "PM" be a separate function or program that can be invoked both (a) from a member's profile (and possibly also the member list, as you suggested) and (b) from the context of reading messages onlist. (And possibly from other places, as far as I know.) In the context of (b) the function could automatically add the subject line, probably subject to change by the user. In the context of (a) the user would enter their own subject line.

I don't think a forum PM generally produces an email message carrying the replyer's email address. Send to Sender does - it really is an offlist message

Who cares? These are details. In Groups.io, "PM" would mean "private message" complete with the email that goes out. The psychological intention and action are still most similar to PM in a forum, namely: that person, and ONLY that person, gets the message content.

It's the intention and content - namely, "personal" or "public" - that I keep focusing on. Everyone else is jumping into details of dropdowns, screens, language, etc. I don't care about those and I think they're easy to solve once you decide on the bigger picture.

It's dumb to buy smart water.