locked Re: Preventing Reply to Group/Sender mixups

Edited

Maria,

Agree. For this reason, in both scenarios that i was trying to imagine
visually that would not happen. You'd have to work to get to the non
default option. This would prioritize group default, encourage the group
culture, and be a really strong mechanism to avoid a mixup.
Try this on for size, I have an idea that I think may satisfy our goals as well as J and Brian's. Maybe mock it up for me. Or just mock me for it ;-)

-----

Context: viewing a message. Either by itself (Single Message View) or in a list of messages (Thread View or Expanded View). Using the test version as the visual model.

1) In a group with the Reply To option set to "Group" it looks just like it does here in beta@. The change is in the More menu, where two new options exist: "Reply to [display name]" and "Report to Moderators".

a) In the case where the member wishes to reply to the group he/she clicks on the Reply link and the message composition tools open up. But underneath the body text box there are not two destination choices: only "Send to Group", "Preview" (in Markdown mode) and "Discard".

In this context I prefer to label that button "Send" because the word "Reply" is the link that opened these tools, and I don't want to confuse initiating the reply with completing it.

b) In the case where the member wishes to make an offlist reply to the sender, the user finds that option in the "More" menu as "Reply to [display name]. Clicking that opens up the message composition tools, and changes the "Reply" link to "Reply to [display name]" - showing that the function has been changed. Meanwhile, the More menu item changes to "Reply to Group", providing a means for the member to change his/her mind.

I would also want "Offlist - " prefixed into the subject box, and the Send button changed to "Send to [display name]". I think this would also merit a line of explanatory text (above or below the Send button) that tells the user that the message will have his/her email address in the From address, and will be sent only to the replyee (that non-word again).

c) In the case where the member wishes to report a message to the moderators, the user finds that option in the "More" menu as "Report this message". From there every thing functions analogous to (b): substituting "Report this message" for "Reply", "Fwd: Moderators - " in the subject box, and "Send to moderators". Again, an explanatory text regarding the From address may be merited.

2) In a group with the Reply To option set to "Sender"

Everything works as in (1), except that the initial state has "Reply to [display name]" displaying in place of "Reply", and "Reply to Group" in the More menu.

3) In a group with the Reply To option set to "Moderators"

Everything works as in (1), except that the initial state has "Report to moderators" displaying in place of "Reply", and "Reply to Group" in the More menu.

-----

To keep it simple I haven't included in that description any option to CC the reply to someone else (direct to the replyee in the case of Group, or to the moderators in the case of replyee). I think those can be handled with a checkbox somewhere, but for now that's just an elaboration on the main idea.

Shal
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum