locked Re: Preventing Reply to Group/Sender mixups AND quoted messages #bug

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

J,

            I get what you're saying.  This is interesting because, in a completely unconnected context I was just talking about outliers, and your description of what Y!G and the current incarnation of Groups.io are both doing are just that:  outliers.

            They both buck what is a clear general convention, and just because this whole conversation has ensued it shows me just how problematic that decision really is.

            If ever there were a clearer demonstration that there should not be a mechanism that allows "compose first, choose recipient later" in a web forum context these two threads are it.

            It violates the principles that have been well and accurately discussed in regard to having made a choice regarding the "who" before composing the "what" and introduces a level of ease to screw-up that is frequently seen to be happening.

            What's even worse, and I've been very clear about my opinion on this, is that the proposed solutions are anything but.  Trying to buck well established cultural practices that go well beyond any one site and the current place and time is a mistake.  It generates confusion and frustration when "unwritten rules" that one can generally "use in one's sleep" are jettisoned for interfaces that are wholly unnatural to a given context.  Reinventing the wheel for the sake of reinvention, well . . .

            I don't know how or why anyone who's been "around cyberspace" and these sorts of venues for any period of time could convince themselves otherwise.

--
Brian