locked Re: Preventing Reply to Group/Sender mixups

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Sat, Jul 2, 2016 at 09:37 am, J_catlady wrote:
As a side benefit to a UI that has "choose recipient first, compose second,"

 J,

              The problem here being, in my opinion, is that this is not and never has been the norm for online forums.  What we have on Groups.io that is very odd is the "Reply to Sender" button included as part of the standard reply mechanism.  On every blessed other forum I'm on that does not exist as an option to a forums post, per se.  There are easy ways to send a private message to a given poster from the reading window, but that most often involves having to click on that sender's name that shows up at the top of a given post.   Here are examples from three different other forums I'm heavily active on, and all of these are not a part of the standard reply sequence, and all use the mechanism I mentioned:

This is a situation where I'd be highly inclined to use the "what others do" metric and to change how one sends a private response that entirely removes it from the thread reply mechanism in the web interface.  The e-mail interface is a whole other ball o' wax.
--
Brian