locked Re: Preventing Reply to Group/Sender mixups

David P. Dillard

Thanks for that comment. I am very aware that Mark is on top of what he does and aware of issues on lists related to disabilities. It is, nevertheless, good to send reminders as an ounce of prevention is worth a kilogram of cure (trying to avoid a cliche <g>) My research guides at Temple have been undergoing extensive modification as a result of the ADA lawsuit at Penn State. I am motivated by the fact that I consider Groups.IO to be an exceptional service run be a marvelous person and I do not want to see it hurt in any way, so thanks for the opportunity to clarify my motivation.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jwne@temple.edu

On Sat, 2 Jul 2016, Brian Vogel wrote:

On Sat, Jul 2, 2016 at 09:28 am, David P. Dillard wrote:
However, he may want to include a text based version of the same reply method as well as the color coding as the
use of color for system commands is not ADA compliant as visually impaired, color blind and blind users cannot
interpret the colors, making their use in such a context a violation of the ADA (Americans with Disabiliies
Act).
 I just want to hasten to add that Mark has definitely been sensitive to accessibility issues (not that I'm implying that
you're saying he's not been).
I have simply presumed that what is generated is generated in such a way that screen readers will announce things correctly
and, under the web interface and using the latest version of NVDA the "Reply to Group", "Reply to Sender," and "Discard"
buttons are all announced correctly.
I think I may have just found a bug with the web interface but I don't know if it's an NVDA bug or a Groups.io web coding
bug, or something else.  What follows will only be meaningful to someone who is familiar with screen readers and,
specifically, NVDA terminology regarding modes a user can be in with regard to a webpage.  Right now I'm in browse mode, but
everything is behaving just like I'm in focus mode as far as letting me type in this box.  However, if I try to use the 'b'
command to jump to the buttons while in browse mode it obviously does not work because I'm still being allowed to type in
this compose box when in browse mode so the letter 'b', when typed, is not taken as a command.  I've tried toggling between
browse and focus modes to see if that would make me able to use the usual single letter navigation to get to the three
previously mentioned buttons, but no dice.