locked Re: Preventing Reply to Group/Sender mixups

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Sat, Jul 2, 2016 at 09:15 am, J_catlady wrote:
"Deletion" is not really deletion. Locking a thread doesn't have a bearing on this that I can see.

I'm not arguing against, potentially, additional safeguards.  Based on my own decades of experience I have found the following to be true, and have come to believe it far more than I did when I first encountered it:

                            Nothing can be made foolproof because fools are just so damned ingenious.

You are correct that locking a thread is not directly relevant, I was just throwing it in because it is a power that I, as a non-moderator, know that moderators do have.  I also agree about deletion if a group is both e-mail and forum, and I presume all groups.io groups are.  Which raises an interesting question (if it's not already possible, I don't know):  Can a group on Groups.io be set up to be strictly e-mail list, strictly online forum, or hybrid?   If not, that might be something to consider as a later upgrade.  It would also make the deletion option much more relevant for "online forum only" format - as one can expunge the "official record" relatively quickly - often before most group members even see something if the request to moderator comes in and is acted on in very short order.

As a final note, when it comes to posting you might be surprised just "how average" I've been over the months in terms of making the "Send to Group" rather than "Send to Sender" mistake.  I can state, unequivocally for myself, that having clear visual relief between the buttons for each purpose now has had a positive impact in preventing my doing that on at least one occasion.

Brian - also "handwritten" due to sig bug