locked Re: Preventing Reply to Group/Sender mixups

Brian,

On Sat, Jul 2, 2016 at 09:07 am, Brian Vogel wrote:

you can't say that something that's visually more distinctive "won't work" until its tried.

 I'm not saying it won't work. I'm saying it sounds to me like another band-aid. It certainly can't hurt. If I were Mark, I would roll this out immediately and STILL consider the option being discussed here.

 while it may be "modifiable" will never be solvable.

Of course not. We're talking about fallible human beings. But we want to make it as unlikely as possible for them to make a mistake. i don't think the present UI does that.

anyone who is even thinking about posting anything that even might possibly expose something involving someone else, that is private, and that could precipitate legal liability really had ought to be thinking about that and responsible for their own actions.

Of course they should, and I think for the most part, they do. (Legalities are not a problem in my own particular group, BTW, but that's irrelevant.) All the more reason for the system itself to make it harder for them to make a mistake. People are always going to be fallible. You're making my point for me. :-) The system should help them out.

For moderated groups I would presume that the moderator has not only the power to lock a given thread, but to remove it, or to remove individual posts.

Even in unmoderated groups like mine, mods can always do this. But the posts are still in every email subscriber's email inbox. "Deletion" is not really deletion. Locking a thread doesn't have a bearing on this that I can see.

--

J (handwritten signature;)