locked Re: Preventing Reply to Group/Sender mixups

Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>

On Sat, Jul 2, 2016 at 08:23 am, J_catlady wrote:
EDIT: I think you were referring here to the blue and green buttons. I think the point still applies. I don't think rolling it out is the solution. Are you then going to do do some sort of statistics, and how long do you wait, before deciding it did (or did not) solve the problem and try the proposed solution instead?

 J,

           First, you can't say that something that's visually more distinctive "won't work" until its tried.

           Second, given my years and years on all sorts of forums I can tell you that this problem, while it may be "modifiable" will never be solvable.  The problem is that people just don't pay attention to what they're doing.  Even with "Are you sure?" type blockades I've seen instances of people replying in public when they didn't mean to because they *just* *don't* *pay* *attention*.

            Third, and it does not apply to you or your group, specifically, anyone who is even thinking about posting anything that even might possibly expose something involving someone else, that is private, and that could precipitate legal liability really had ought to be thinking about that and responsible for their own actions.  It's not that I don't believe in safeguards, but I have become convinced that most of this kind of thing is due to operator obliviousness (and I hasten to add that's not always stupidity).

             What I'd actually love to see implemented is a "call back" option, not unlike one can use in Gmail, where one sets a delay of one's choosing, up to 30 seconds (I think) - it's been a long time since I set mine, where an "Undo Send" link is presented as a float-over after sending something, unless you send something else within that time, they don't stack.  I haven't used this often, but I've used it often enough over the years to recognize its value.  Most times I have a, "&%#*, I didn't mean to do that!!," reaction it happens within a second or two of hitting the button.

             For moderated groups I would presume that the moderator has not only the power to lock a given thread, but to remove it, or to remove individual posts.  If not, this is something that should be implemented.

Brian