locked Members list without members' email addresses #suggestion

Replying to Maria's post #8792:
https://groups.io/g/beta/message/8792

Maria,

BTW should this thread be split as we segued (he he) from having
different pictures in your profile for different groups/subgroups to the
idea of a member directory that does not show email addresses but allows
a member to see a gallery / listing of profile pics of the other members
in a subgroup and for those profiles to have actions, like DM's or
other...?
I think you're right, I could have split my #8782 into two: one on-topic reply and one for the segue. So here we are, belatedly.

Now, maybe chat deserves its own thread too. It might be a larger topic.

Shal