locked Re: suggestion: private hashtags #suggestion

Hmm. At first blush doesn't feel like it should be a #hashtag thing, but maybe a groupname+subgroup@groups.io thing. Hashtags are more for archive organization and muting.

Anyone else have any thoughts on subgroups?

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 3:12 PM, Derek Shanahan <derek@...> wrote:
- Hadn't thought about archives, but likely prefer to have them hidden from non-members.

- Joining: ATM I'd be great with manually adding members, but did imagine an "application" or "subscribe" option that let me say to the entire group "Hey, I'm starting a side-thread about X EVENT, please send an email with #xevent in the subject to our list to join that thread(s)". Maybe an option to make that automatically in, or in after approval by a mod/admin.

- Yeah, a subgroup email would be nice - I'm mostly worried about doing it all inside of one major group.

Thanks!
Derek

-
Derek Shanahan

// email: derek@...

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 2:57 PM, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:
Hmm, subgroup by hashtag. Interesting. Would you want the archives of this subgroup to be available to all the members of the group or just the people in the subgroup? Would you want anyone in the group to be able to join this subgroup if they wanted?

It would be like pre-muting a hashtag for everyone except the subgroup members.

I've thought about other ways to do subgroups. Creating a special group address like groupname+subname@groups.io, for example.

On Wed, Oct 15, 2014 at 2:15 PM, Derek Shanahan <derek@...> wrote:
Not sure this is the spot for feature suggestions, but I find myself needing...

A way to message a sub-set of the group (leaders) privately from the larger general members. I realize I could set up a 2nd groups.io Group, but it'd be nice to do this with hashtags.

- Pick a hashtag (ie #leaders)
- Denote it 'anointed members only' (ie don't email to entire group, just members)
- Admin/mods can manually select 'anointed members'