locked Re: How does one follow a topic or hashtag?

Frances

Hi Mark,

Muting is fabulous and will appeal to many users, but right now it is a little too complicated. I think you need to show the controls for muting and unmuting on more screens.

I can see “muted threads” in the Inbox.
Not obvious how to unmute them.
So I have to click on the subject line of my muted thread.
And I can unmute the thread.
Okay - works.

But from my specific group I have to wander around.
Go to Archives.
My muted thread does show in Thread View (and it should, I think).
But nothing saying it is muted.
As Shal mentioned, it doesn’t show which of the threads have been muted - not under thread view, message view or expanded message view.

So I click on that message.
Edit thread doesn’t do anything.
I know I saw how to unmute before within the group before.
Giving up!

I will have to go back to the inbox. But I am sure I saw another screen just a few minutes ago that would allow me to unmute!

Frances

A glitch - if you click on Mute This Thread in your email, and it is already muted, you get a popup page that tells you this.
You have a yes / no question - do you want to mute this thread? The answer has to be No, or the window won’t close. It stays muted. Not a biggie, I guess!

On Jan 17 15, at 7:56 PM, Shal Farley <shal@roadrunner.com> wrote:

Mark,

My initial assumption was that people would interact with their groups
through email and through the 'Inbox' view on the Groups.io website,
instead of visiting individual group archives.
Through email is certainly true for me. Apart from moderator duties, I only go to the group's archives when I'm new to a group or to research messages that I may not have kept in an email folder.

When you subscribe to a group, all of the group messages instantly show
up in your Inbox. So, when viewing threads in Inbox view, depending on
your subscription, you'll have either 'Mute This Thread' or 'Follow This
Thread' at the top (you get the same option in the message footers when
emailed to you).
Interesting about the Inbox view. I ignored it largely out of inexperience with Groups.io, I see how that's a valuable way of keeping up with one's groups for those who don't rely on email. I would never have thought of it as a way to research the messages of a group I just joined though - I'd want to be looking at just their messages.

I think affordances for Muting or Following a thread likely should appear wherever one sees a thread - in the Inbox list itself (not just after opening the thread/message), as well as in the lists and opened messages of the group's pages.

And there are separate views for threads you've already muted or
followed, along with muted hashtags, so that you can 'undo' those
operations.
Excellent. It is possible that group- and member-specific versions of those lists ought to appear as tabs of each group's Archives page. I think that will help bring these features "out in the open" - make their utility more discoverable as well as making them easier to understand. Perhaps there labeled "Your Followed Threads" and etc. to make it clear that those are member-specific.

-- Shal