locked Re: Special messages

Marlin47

Mark, years and years ago, when I was new at running groups, I actually paid attention to who was on "no mail".

Today, I could not possibly care less, even if I tried.

I remember back when I cared, I contacted a few people and asked why they were on no mail, I remember I had one reply that stood out, a guy told me that he was not allowed to use his computer at work for personal things.

So, he would access the web site and read the mail and post from the web site when the boss was away.

He said he could not afford to risk the possibility of getting mail from the group while at work.

I often wondered why he didn't use an online email address but, I figured that was his business, anyway he said that if he had to go to something other than no mail, he would have to leave the group.

He was one of the most active posters.

I suggest leaving the situation to where the individual members make their own choice.

I don't think it is any of the group owner's business how the member has his setting set.

Now, if you absolutely have to do something, make it impossible for the group owner to know if a member is on "no mail", problem solved.

Marlin

On 1/15/2015 7:41 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Shal,

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 12:39 AM, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:

"No Mail" is a feature that perennially generates heated commentary on the various Yahoo Groups moderator forums. Some moderators are adamant about preventing members from choosing the option, some members are equally vehement in asserting that messing with the member's delivery choice is a violation of the member's prerogatives.

Personally I think both sides in this argument are a bit foolish.

Thanks for your summary of the arguments. I'm really torn on this. I understand the people that want 'no mail' to mean no mail. I also understand the need from time to time for moderators to get in touch with users. And we make it easy enough for moderators to contact individual users from the website, regardless of their subscription setting.

I'm tempted to make no mail mean no mail except special messages, if for no other reason than it's simpler, and we already have a billion subscription options. If anyone feels very strongly in the other direction about this, please speak up now.