locked Re: Disable archives?

Steve Weinberg

Guys, I'm new here at io.

I think I got here because I was on a journey to try and download the message archives of various YGroups I've been running for years and years Ran into a dead end.

If you transfer an old Ygroup to a new io group, is there also some provision for transferring the message archives, as well?

Steve

On Jan 13, 2015, at 2:18 AM, Shal Farley <shal@roadrunner.com> wrote:

Dano,

Disabling the message archives would remove one of the great features of
groups. ...
So delete my message archives?? You might as well delete my group!
I don't think that was the proposal. I think the proposal was that the Archives have an access control option that includes "Off".

I don't think I would use it in any of my groups, and clearly neither would you. But that doesn't mean the option shouldn't be there - for those groups where it would be appropriate. I've long maintained that the genius of Yahoo Groups lay partly in its adaptability - even to use cases beyond the imagination of its current users or developers.

That doesn't mean having options for everything. But a well-designed and fleshed out set of controls can be both easy to understand and provide unexpectedly useful combinations.

-- Shal