locked Re: Disable archives?

RS

Thinking about this, my experience in using Groups has been that very rarely would people create a group without archives.  That said, I personally was part of one that didn't save messages years ago.  Here's why.  It was a moderators group, and we occasionally spoke very frankly about certain members.  We were also friends with them, and would never want our thoughts as mods relating to the greater good of the group to be accidentally revealed due to a glitch in privacy settings or some other unforeseen issue, as Yahoo was known to have.  If they were ever invited as a mod, some things would cause un-necessary situations.  So, it can occur, but in 12+ years of group use, that's the only time I can think of I came across a reason for one.  Having the option available might be handy for some groups, but I suspect it might be pretty rare to want.

Right now, I am actually preferring the online viewing to my email inbox. That's an experience i haven't had in years.

Sent: Monday, January 12, 2015 at 3:08 AM
From: "David P. Dillard" <jwne@...>
To: "christopher hallsworth" <challsworth2@icloud..com>
Cc: "beta@groups.io" <beta@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [beta] Disable archives?
One of the great features of discussion groups in my humble opinion is collecting the wisdom and knowledge of group members in a searchable recorded body of posts so that one can benefit from the contributions at later dates when seeking specific information. Why would one not want archives, private for members only or public. If public one also can use Google to find content in Groups IO discussion group archives. Why would one want to not have archives, except in cases of legal issues such as a medical list and HIPAA? Sincerely, David Dillard Temple University (215) 204 - 4584 jwne@... On Mon, 12 Jan 2015, christopher hallsworth wrote: > Hi all, > Hope it is ok to ask on here, but what are your thoughts on disabling archives altogether? I'm surprised this isn't an option as both Yahoogroups and Googlegroups have this facility. In fact, Mailman does too. > Thanks for any comments on this. > > > > > > > > >