locked Re: Draft Code of Conduct -- Owl's Opinion

On 29 Feb 2016 at 18:20, JohnF via Groups.io wrote:

On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 01:16 pm, Jim Fisher <@jimella> wrote:
it might be worth
including a note that that the code consists of Mark's rules, and that he
reserves the right to change any aspect at any time without notice.
Actually, I hate things that say that, on the paranoid thought that someday
someone is going to change it to say, "And you agree to send us $100 for each
post you make." Not that I think that could be enforced, but "I can change this
to say whatever I want and it's immediately binding on you" agreements make me
uncomfortable.
While I can see a little sense in this in some circumstances (although no one
could enforce such a payment until the user had accepted the implied new
contract), in the context of Groups.io it makes no sense. Mark would
immediately lose all his users and he would know that so he wouldn't do it.
What I suggested is merely stating explicitly something which is true anyway.

Jim Fisher

--
http://www.jimella.me.uk - my personal web site covering many subjects (not
currently working - hosting company problems)