locked Re: Draft Code of Conduct -- Owl's Opinion

Shal,

I understand and sympathise with your commercial concerns, but this still
leaves the problem of people knowing what you mean by "adult" or "X-rated".
The meaning of those terms varies enormously from place to place, which means
they are not very helpful in an international medium like the internet.
tl:dr - Don't borrow trouble.

In 1969 U.S. Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart famously declined to give a
definition for "hard-core pornography", instead asserting that "I know it when I
see it." The world has changed a lot since then, but his non-definition seems to
have stood the test of time.

Attempting a precise definition is likely as futile now as it was then, for his
reasons then, plus the new reason of international scope. It may be best to live
with some ambiguity there than to try to enumerate it for all the jurisdictions
and local cultures in the world.
I understand what you're saying, but I'm not sure it's quite relevant. What we
are talking about here now is not any kind of legal definition but clarity (for
users in different parts of the world) of what Mark intends, which means, I
think, more detailed definition of what he means by those words.

Jim
--
http://www.jimella.me.uk - my personal web site covering many subjects (not
currently working - hosting company problems)