locked Re: "Like" for the email-centric (was First Impressions of Groups.io)

I haven't tried this yet (plan to set up a group later!) - but can voice recognition software interface with the groups? They took that away in Yahoo and as a disabled used I sometimes (regularly!) need to use it

On 12 January 2015 at 11:36, David P. Dillard <jwne@...> wrote:

It is not just accessibility with continuous scroll.  The database Summon when they went from the 1.0 version to the 2.0 version went from individual pages of search results to continuous scroll which I detest in any such application of archived content.  In Google, Google Scholar, Google Books searches one can take the link to a specific page of search results so that one can go back to where they left off in looking at the results or just remember the page number one was on.  This is simply not possible in the world of scroll, one link for the entire result takes on to the very beginning of the search result.  The same is true for the archives in general and for search results of archives in Yahoo Groups, not to mention the search tool on Yahoo has major issues and behaves very erratically.

Two things about search that need attention on Groups IO

The search icon on Groups IO does not work, one must hit enter for a search to work.

One should be able to search for a group on the main Groups IO page and not have to find a link to a page where this can be done.

For any interested, Summon at Temple can be found here and is available for all to use.

http://library.temple.edu

Here are examples of Summon in use compared to other search tools.

http://tinyurl.com/ps6uz7k

Between continuous scroll and walking a straight line to ones right to facilitate the abstract pop up for individual records to show up, this database has become an accessibility and usability nightmare.  This in a database whose content is invaluable. It may cover more ground than Google Scholar and Google Books combined, it certainly is a critical place to look when one needs content on a subject of interest.

Here, for example, is what this database indexes regarding email groups:

http://tinyurl.com/kkwug97

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
jwne@...

Research Guides

RESEARCH PAPER WRITING
EMPLOYMENT
INTERNSHIPS
HOSPITALITY
DISABILITIES AND EMPLOYMENT
http://guides.temple.edu/c.php?g=134557

On Sun, 11 Jan 2015, Feathered Leader wrote:

Once again, replying to an older message:

Shal wrote on 11/21/14:>>Infinite scroll suits some people. Notably Yahoo Groups and Groups.io have both adopted that style
for for presenting message lists and messages in topic.<<

And that implementation alone was one of the worst things they did to us. Many people, including me, cannot handle infinite
scroll. My hands go numb and fingers tingle. Handicapped people couldn't handle it, it was an absolute nightmare. We always
depended on the page view, which thankfully, Mark has included here, and we always counted on being about to use message
numbers.

I am on Twitter, I admit it, as @featheredleader. But I got on Twitter to crusade against Yahoo. Mind you, it came in handy
also when Ferguson Missouri found itself in the midst of rioting and arson, (Yes, I live very near there, and grew up there),
but even then I can't handle endless scroll. Only reason I can handle it some on Twitter is I use a Mouse with a button
command.

So in response to the "Please don't make this like Facebook" comments, my comment is if there is such a thing as an endless
scroll, please please, make it optional.

My biggest problem with Facebook however, has little to do with how it's formatted in general. It has to do with how it
works...where everyone and their brother can link and connect to you and see your posts and three parties down's posts and
etc. NO privacy, NO protection.

If I wanted to be that connected, I wouldn't have stayed with Yahoo Groups as long as I have.

Brenda
Nightowl >8#