locked Re: Editing messages

Here's why turning off editing may be desirable for some groups and not others (and this is just an example): in a group in which almost all users use web-access only,  the editing feature would be very useful and would cause few problems.  But in group where almost everyone is using email, the owner might want to set editing to 'only moderators can edit' if Groups.io were to provide that option.

 I, or any group owner, might want to allow editing by subscribers in one group but not in another, depending on the characteristics of the group, its members, and how people are using it. Providing the option just gives group owners more flexibility.

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 15, 2016, at 3:12 PM, J_Olivia Catlady <j.olivia.catlady@...> wrote:

I think queueing the edits up for a minute or two and only sending the last one might be a good idea. But any longer than that, or moderating all edits, seems like a bait and switch. I can see it causing users anger and frustration ('where did my edit go?' etc).

Sent from my iPhone

On Feb 15, 2016, at 3:05 PM, Ro <recarlton@...> wrote:

That seems like a lot of work.  I would rather have the setting to turn off peoples ability to edit at all if the group owner so desires.   Most edits in the groups I am in are tiny things, not worthy of multiple posts.

No I am absolutely against all edited posts going to moderation!  that is more work, not less!  But of course, this would be an optional setting for the moderators to choose.  since i would never choose it, it of course would be useless for me.   I am already annoyed at GETTING all these edited posts via direct mail, much less having to moderate them.  The whole point is not to have to re read these posts for some tiny correction.  My time is more valuable than that.

Delaying the posts a minute or two does nothing for those on direct email.

Likewise, queuing up edited emails again does nothing for those on direct email.  We still get them.

yes, the ability to turn off peoples editing is the most direct and efficient way to solve the direct email problem.

Ro

with Sally and Silk waiting at their feed dishes, and Handy, Feliz &  Police Kitty patrolling in the Great Beyond.

Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 14:51:52 -0800
Subject: [beta] Editing messages
From: markf@corp.groups.io
To: beta@groups.io

Hi All,

Sometimes people will tweak their messages using the Edit function and instead of doing all their changes in one fell swoop, they'll edit and edit, each time generating a new email to the group. Off the top of my head, here are some ideas about how to address this. I have not thought through all the implications of these. Just brainstorming.

- Group setting so that all edits are moderated, regardless of the subscriber's settings.
- Like we do with some integrations, hold off for a minute or two before sending out the edited message, in case another edit comes in. Only send out the last one received.
- Queue up edits and only send them out once a day, and if there are multiple edits, only send the last one.

Other suggestions appreciated.

The suggestion was made for a preview window. I don't see how that'd help, given that the edit window is already WYSIWYG.