locked Re: if wiki setting is "subscribers can view, moderators can edit," the boxes "only mods can edit" should not appear on wiki pages #bug

Yes, gray it out. That would be fine. As long as it is clearly inactivated in this case. It is extremely confusing this way.

On Sun, Feb 7, 2016 at 11:34 AM, Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> wrote:
J,

> Self-explanatory.

I don't see this as a bug.

If the site did not display the "Only moderators can edit this page." checkbox when it is mooted by the group setting then a moderator of a group set that way might never discover that a per-page control exists. At most it could be made inactive (gray) to show that it has no current effect.

That said, I see nothing wrong with showing it as is. It says what it does when checked and makes no statement about what happens when it isn't.

> Prior to testing by Shal and Duane, I happily believed that subscribers
> could edit my "suggestion box" wiki page simply because I left the box
> unchecked.

I argue that a more commonsense inference is that leaving the box unchecked leaves user editing in the control of the group setting. After all, if this box operated independent of the group setting then there'd be no case in which the group setting took effect - the illogic of that should cast a strong doubt on the incorrect inference.

-- Shal
https://groups.io/g/GroupManagersForum

--
Janet-Olivia
I never feel sorry about what happened yesterday nor do I worry about what might happen tomorrow. "The Contented Little Pussycat" -  Frances Ruth Keller