locked Re: thread broken up into many separate threads

On Wed, Feb 3, 2016 at 12:54 PM, Shal Farley <shals2nd@...> wrote:

 From earlier discussions I understood that the automatic threading of a newly posted message to an existing thread required two things both be true:

1) The message's Subject field matches an existing thread (where "match" is designed to ignore incidental changes like "Re:" added to the subject).

2) The message header contains an In-Reply-To or References field that matches the ID of a message in the existing thread.

The Reply function in the group's Messages section is designed to automatically meet both criteria. In particular, the user cannot alter the Subject field and the function automatically includes the In-Reply-To field.

Have I forgotten something, or is there more to it now?

That's all correct. But there's one additional thing now (well, for the past maybe 6 months). If the message subject begins with 'Re:' and the message contains no References/In-Reply-To headers, then we look for a matching subject within the past week. If we find one, we assume that this message belongs to that thread, and add it to it.

Cheers,