locked Re: Edits, deletions, moderation, oh my!

Mark,

Should I allow moderators to completely nuke a message so that it's like
it never happened?
In Yahoo Groups a deleted message leaves behind a gap in the message number sequence. The permalink becomes a page that says "The item you are looking for is not available" but otherwise has the normal chrome of the group's Conversations section.

I think that's appropriate. Can't erase the gap without messing up all subsequent permalinks, and it doesn't seem like a good idea to have it resolve to a generic 404 error. But it should disappear from the messages lists, without a way to navigate to it other than through the permalink.

I've read occasional complaints that the conversation search would still turn up a match on the deleted message and display an excerpt of its content in the search results list. That upsets people quite a bit.

-- Shal