locked Re: Group transfers

Mark,

Every message does get converted to UTF-8 when we first receive it, so
that we can look for and remove any Groups.io footers in replies. But we
convert it right back to the original encoding before sending it out and
saving it in the database.
The reason I'm concerned about conversions is that they are a source of error.

A member of my GMF group on Yahoo ceased to be able to use Google groups because her group used a non-ISO encoding (koi8-r) in their emails and the translation to UTF-8 permanently corrupted the text. For their purposes it wasn't so important that the Archive was corrupt, but when Google Groups translated their email messages they became unusable - they could not be translated back. So, at least up until Neo, they stuck with Yahoo Groups because the individual messages were passed through without translation.

-- Shal