locked Re: Group transfers

Marlin47

I can think of another problem.

In the process of proving to you that a person is an owner of an existing group, how would you distinguish between whether the person is actually the owner or just a moderator?

If you would send a message to the     -owner    address expecting a reply from the owner proving that he received that message as the owner, I would point out to you that all the moderators also receive those messages.

I would bet that there are countless numbers of groups where there are moderators who would just love to steal the group from the owner.

That would be a slick way to do it.

I have a suggestion, but, it would mean more work for you, if you think this would be a problem.

Marlin

On 1/3/2015 12:51 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Hi All,

Happy 2015! Now that the holidays are over, I'll be able to get back to serious development work.

I've been trying to think of ways to make transfers of existing groups to Groups.io easier. My problem with having direct add of members generally available is that it tends to get abused and Groups.io gets labeled a spammer. But I want to make it easy to transfer groups over.

If someone can prove to me that they own an existing group, I think that's enough of a bar to permit their members to be added directly. So, here's an idea:

- Create the new group at Groups.io
- Change the description of your existing group to include a link to the new group at Groups.io. Something like "This group has moved to https://groups.io/org/groupsio/GROUPNAME".
- Email the member list and a link to the old group to a support account I'll set up.
- I'll verify that the old group's description has been changed, and directly add the members to the new group.

What do you think?