locked Re: questions

Hi Bruce,

Good questions. As to whitelisting and spam, I'm been registering the Groups.io servers with the various whitelists for the major email providers. A good reputation takes time to develop, of course, but I'm doing everything I can to help that along. And part of that it reacting quickly when spam is reported.

Questions 3 and 4 are related. With groups.io, you can download your complete membership AND your complete message archive at any time. So, if groups..io does ever go away, you'll still have all that. Unfortunately, you can't do that at Yahoo or Google. (Through the Dropbox integration, you can also have all, or some, of the attachments sent through your group automatically stored in your Dropbox, as another way of archiving.)

As for longevity, I'll answer it this way. Groups.io is a passion project for me. I don't want to live in a world where Facebook groups are the main/best way to communicate in a group on-line. I believe email groups are fundamentally better for many types of communication. It's clear that groups are not a priority at either Yahoo or Google and I'm worried that email groups will disappear without a dedicated company/service providing them.

As for funding of the company, I'm committed to funding it for the foreseeable future.

The only question in my mind is whether groups.io will gain a critical mass of users (for some definition of critical). Much of that is on me, to provide a feature rich, easy to use service that people like. But it's also dependent on people liking and using the service and spreading the word.

I hope this answers your questions.

On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 8:00 AM, Bruce Pappas <bruce@...> wrote:
I'm also interested in moving my groups here. A few questions:
1. What will you do to keep your list addresses white-listedf?
2. What will you do when spam is reported to you?
3. What about longevity? What will you do to make sure you don't just fly the coop when you want, leaving owners high and dry?
4. Can you download a list of members and messages for archival purposes?
Thanks.
-Bruce

Bruce Colglazier Pappas
Email: bruce@...
Phone: (H) 763-377-9874 - (C) 763-229-7075 - (F) 763-377-8189
Address:  20 Ardmore Dr, Minneapolis, MN 55422-5208  USA
Website:  www.brucepappas.com
Skype: bruce.c.pappas

On Sun, Oct 12, 2014 at 9:23 AM, Cherrill <cdjamieson@...> wrote:
my co-owner and I have discussed opening a group here, but I have a few questions.

First off, I hope it is allowed to have 2 group owners.

We would like to open a group which is not private in that members have to be either added or sent an invite; but is closed so that people have to be a member to participate but can join by seeing the group name listed.  We do not want people who are members of other .io groups but not members of our group to be able to see our messages.

I hope this makes sense, because i thought i had read something about people being able to share in interesting topics, and I am not sure I understand this concept.

thank you

Cherrill