locked Re: Edits, deletions, moderation, oh my!

Judy F.

Hi Mark, I don’t comment a lot so hopefully this will make sense.

Regarding your question

And for the hard questions, about subjects and threads and hashtags. Right now, you can't edit the subject of an individual message, you can only edit the subject of the thread. It's not clear to me what should happen if we let people edit individual message subjects. For example, if you change the subject of a message in the middle of a thread, should that split the thread into two different threads in the archives? And should a 'normal' user be allowed to do that? Should editing subjects just be for moderators?

I can only speak for my various embroidery/sewing/quilting groups.  There are a lot of times when a member will take an existing message and want to ask a question or comment on something other than what that particular message was about.  So they will change the subject and clear the text and write their message.

Since most groups moderate all messages, I think not only should this revised message need approval, but it should definitely start a new thread.  That’s the purpose of changing the subject.

Again, these are my thoughts for the type groups I own/moderate and participate in.

Thanks,

Judy F.

SW Florida - USA