locked Re: Message threads versus topics

I think the first priority is to have the original message included in the reply, like a proper email client, so that people can reply in-line. I will bump that up in the todo list.

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 12:46 PM, J. Faulkner <jfaulkner44@...> wrote:

Mark, I reply at the top of a message and if the message has a lot of questions, I do my reply below each question in BOLD.  Is there a way that the various reply options could be offered and the member can decide what they like best?

Judy F.

SW Florida - USA

From: Mark Fletcher [mailto:markf@corp.groups.io]
Sent: Monday, November 17, 2014 1:29 PM
To: beta@groups.io
Subject: Re: [beta] Message threads versus topics

Hmm. I fall into the camp that dislikes the staggered message presentation view like this. I really dislike how Reddit does things, for example.

Is there much demand for a view like this?

We do have an expanded view, which displays messages in pure date order. It's not currently accessible anywhere, except by appending ?expanded=1 to a messages link, like:

If people like that view, I could add a toggle in the messages view.

On Sun, Nov 16, 2014 at 8:02 PM, Shal Farley <shal@...> wrote:

Mark,

Looking at the screen shots (for my other reply about Facebook 2) I'm reminded of another feature of classic groups that has been lost in Neo, and not restored by Groups.io: true message threads (as opposed to mere topics).

Groups.io provides a "topic" view, not a "thread" view. The distinction I'm making is that messages in the topic are shown in pure date order, with no indication of which message each may have been in reply to. Classic groups provided a threaded view by way of a hierarchical list of message summaries below each opened message:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/shalf/10130165595/in/set-72157636272401705
(note the blue background highlighting the message currently open at the top of the page).

I don't think I would advocate copying that particular implementation in Groups.io; likely it would be more sensible to provide a true "Thread View" as an alternate sort option for an open message topic/thread (versus the existing date sort options).

-- Shal