Sent: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 12:32 AM
Subject: [beta] Proposed sub group changes

Hi All,

Right now, there's a permission on moderator subscriptions for creating sub groups. Only group owners and moderators with that permission can create sub groups. I propose the following changes:

- A group setting for who can create sub groups: subscribers, mods and owners, owners only, defaulting to mods and owners on existing groups.

***I question your selection of default.  IMO, the default should be always be group owners.

- The permission on moderator subscriptions is changed so that it is now a permission to act as an owner in any sub group.

***Acting as an owner implies the ability to remove members, including other owners, or will you ensure that an acting owner will not have the ability to remove actual owners (or does the next item cover that)?

- Group owners automatically also act as owners in all sub groups, regardless of whether they are subscribed to the sub group or not.

***Should read that group owners are automatically actual owners of all sub groups, regardless of whether they are subscribed to the sub group or not.

These changes allow more flexibility/possibilities with sub groups. You would now be able to let your subscribers create sub groups of their own, if they want/need to. But you still have full control over them.

***I think it’s a great idea.  Simplicity with flexibility in the design is a worthy goal. (Comment pertains also to your addendum.)

Thoughts?

(Over the summer I've been working on the enterprise version of Groups.io, which would basically be like a 'private' version of Groups.io. The way that would work is that people would become members of your Groups.io org (a new thing in the enterprise version), and within that org are groups. I've come to the conclusion that instead of doing that, it makes more sense to make a few changes to existing features, like the sub group changes I've outlined above.)