locked Re: Question, is there a way to ban a member without approving them?

Sounds good, will try it when we need to. Thanks for the implementation.

On 4 Sep 2015, at 17:52, Mark Fletcher <markf@corp.groups.io> wrote:

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 12:44 AM, Christopher Hallsworth <challsworth2@...> wrote:

I will not go into any names here, but the subject says it all. Is there a way to ban members without approving them? If not, there should be. On our groups, we have a member who persistently joins under different email addresses, some of which look nowhere near like the members' real name. We are sick and tired of approving them only to find out we didn't want them. So we then have to go in and ban them.

In the Members view, there's always been the option to Ban in the Actions dropdown. I've just added a Ban button when viewing an individual (pending or normal) member. One quirk, the Ban option doesn't show up for moderators or owners. If you really want to Ban a moderator/owner, first change their subscription to a normal member, then ban them.

I think the current system of banning being tied to an email address is probably the best we can do. Tying it to an IP address is fraught with problems as has been pointed out. And tying to names I don't think is workable as well (names are easier to fake than email addresses). That said, I'm always open to suggestions.

Cheers,