locked Re: Email address obscuring

Marlin47

Mark, whatever you decide, I think I would ask that the addresses not be available for non-members.

Some groups may opt to have the archives open to non-members.   It does not seem to me that those folks should be able to see the addresses.

Otherwise, if members receiving the messages can see the addresses in each incoming email, I cannot see why the addresses should be obscured in the archives for them.

Marlin

On 8/31/2015 7:39 PM, Mark Fletcher wrote:
Hi All,

One of the changes that went out today was that we no longer obscure email addresses in archives for people who are subscribers to the group. I had a couple of people complain about this, and, since we don't obscure email addresses in the emails or digests, it did not seem like a privacy leak.

I've gotten some pushback on this. The thought is that someone could subscribe to a group and then harvest emails through the website by crawling the archives. That is true, but there's still the issue of email addresses in the emails.

What do you all think? Should I switch back to obscuring emails in the archives? Should groups have a toggle for obscuring emails (or should it just be tied to if a group's member list is viewable), and how would that work with group messages/digests?

_._,_._,_