Would you want it to be obscured there as well?

Just asking/

Marlin

On 8/31/2015 7:49 PM, Linda wrote:
Hi Mark,
I say Obscure, Obscure, Obscure! – every which way you possibly can.  I can’t think of any reason not to protect subscribers’ email addresses in groups with hidden membership lists.  That’s what hidden means.

Thanks,
Linda

Sent: Monday, August 31, 2015 8:39 PM
Subject: [beta] Email address obscuring

Hi All,

One of the changes that went out today was that we no longer obscure email addresses in archives for people who are subscribers to the group. I had a couple of people complain about this, and, since we don't obscure email addresses in the emails or digests, it did not seem like a privacy leak.

I've gotten some pushback on this. The thought is that someone could subscribe to a group and then harvest emails through the website by crawling the archives. That is true, but there's still the issue of email addresses in the emails.

What do you all think? Should I switch back to obscuring emails in the archives? Should groups have a toggle for obscuring emails (or should it just be tied to if a group's member list is viewable), and how would that work with group messages/digests?