locked Re: Last Name sort in Members list #suggestion

I have a friend who finds on-line forms which demand a separate first and last
name extremely irritating, because he only has one name. His full name is
simply "Teddy".

Why does the system need to know such things anyway?

Jim Fisher

On 18 Aug 2015 at 14:10, Mark Fletcher wrote:

On Mon, Aug 17, 2015 at 10:38 AM, D R Stinson <@steeplecab> wrote:

In a similar vein, I was on the Invite page and noted it asks for "First
Lastname email@...". What if a person uses two names for a first
name OR a last name? If I invited Betty Jo La Rocque, how would the system
know what was the first name and what was the last name? I'm wondering if some
kind of a separator isn't needed there to differentiate for some names?

Yes, this is an issue. I'm not sure what the right solution is. I could
split the fields into first and last names. But we try to get someone's
name from their email; how would we populate the fields in that case? Also,
having one field is just easier for people to fill out.

What do you all think? Should I split the name field into first/last names?

http://www.jimella.me.uk - my personal web site covering many subjects
http://jimellame.tumblr.com - My thoughts on freedom