moderated Re: Posting Limits #suggestion

Henning Schulzrinne

I help run a community mailing list with about 1,300 members. We don't moderate posts except for new members - just too much effort. (We do time-out members who don't abide by the rules.) We have a "three posts per day" rule for all the reasons mentioned. It would be really helpful to have a very simple auto-moderation mechanism, where the excess post would be rejected with a suitable message. There's no need for complex rules or behaviors - if the topic is still relevant a day later, the person can send their message then. We suspend the rule, by announcement, during emergency situations like after a hurricane. In general, I think simplicity wins here - you want something straightforward that allows lightly-moderated groups to function better. Even without an automated mechanism, most of the active posters have internalized the 3-post rule, so there are no great surprises.