moderated Re: Posting Limits #suggestion

Marv Waschke

Long ago, when I was developing network management tools, our team implemented a rule like this in an agent for processing alerts-- x identical alerts within y time consolidated to a single alert. Worked fairly well. The logs became easier to read, enterprise-wide alert traffic went down. I can see similar benefits to groups.io.

However, some difficult bugs surfaced a few years out when the alert traffic was higher than we ever imagined and some unanticipated race conditions surfaced. These took serious effort to fix, more than the original implementation.  My intuition, which really isn't worth much, is that implementing something similar in groups.io might surface similar issues. I would keep that in mind when deciding whether to implement or not, especially because a theme among the comments here is that this is a technical solution to a problem that might better be solved by addressing the human dynamics in a groups.
Just thoughts, Marv