Re: Posting Limits #suggestion

Jim F.

Barbel-

Thanks.  Yes, that is what I think is happening.  But while I would be willing to upset those two members (and have), I'm not the 'owner' (in a broad sense) of the group (which existed long before I got there), and given its history and customs I can't just throttle people unilaterally.  So I think that the only solution would be to have a transparent and impartial technical solution that most of the active members, I think, would gladly agree to see implemented.

It's helpful to know that this is not a unique problem.

I agree with Pete that this has probably been enough discussion of the issue.

Best regards.

-Jim

On Jan 14, 2022, at 1:58 PM, Bärbel Stephenson <Lismibaebi@...> wrote:

Jim,
It is a very difficult situation you find yourself in.

From experience I can tell you that you might just have to risk upsetting those 2 members or risk losing the group.

Thinking of many years ago (years before the end of yahoo groups) I was in a much loved group with most members actively involved with posting.  Then 2 new people joined and started posting excessively and probably looking for problems.  Several members pleaded many times with the owners/moderators to do something.  This was declined saying that these 2 people had their rights to post etc etc.

What happened?  Exodus of the members and group eventually finished as everybody who enjoyed the group as once was had left…

Barbara

On Fri, 14 Jan 2022 at 17:55, Jim F. via groups.io<JimF56s=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Tommy-

Exactly.

Best regards.

-Jim

On Jan 14, 2022, at 8:57 AM, Tommy Meehan <tmeehan0421@...> wrote:

I agree, seventy plus messages from two members is too much. Right now, the only way to mute them that I know of would be to moderate them and choose 'not allowed to post.' The only other solution would seem to be announcing a limit on messages posted per day. Then delete everything over that limit.

But if appealing to the members, asking them to essentially self-regulate doesn't work, if other members won't chime in with support, then what can you do?

tommy0421