Re: Posting Limits #suggestion

Jim F.

Andy-

<< I come back to my original thought that you have plenty of existing tools to control the situation but you are choosing not to use them. >>

Muting topics wouldn't help both because people DO want to get the less frequent and more considered emails from other members, and because some of our members (including one of the excessive posters) somehow seem to start a new topic with many of their posts.  (Yes, we could limit new topics but that would be too restrictive, and policing posting conventions would not be worth it, so we just merge them in later.)

A hashtag would let people more consistently mute the topic (unless the poster omitted the hashtag), but it would still mute the entire topic rather than just the excessive posts (which appear in every topic), which would be throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

And in any case, frankly, most members are not about to log on to the site in order to adjust their subscriptions--or even use the muting links at the bottom of an email.  (It would be like figuring out how to set the clock on your VCR, for those who remember.)  Most members never log in, so our moderators offer to set their email preferences for them.  (And sometimes, I suspect, people unsubscribe from the site because they are sick of getting too many emails, even though they would want to continue getting the moderator special notices if they realized that they could.)

I'm not sure why you think that incomplete or labor-intensive workarounds qualify as 'plenty of existing tools to control the situation'.  As I said before, the goal should be to make the moderators' job easier, not to expect more of them.  Our site mostly runs itself--which is what's great about Groups-io--and anything that required constant monitoring and action by the moderators would be a nonstarter.

J-Catlady:  We've had the hard conversations and they haven't worked.  But we don't operate offlist, at all.

(Note: For some reason, I didn't get an email of Andy's post, or J-Catlady's which is also on the site, but I did receive Duane's response.)

Best regards.

-Jim

On Jan 14, 2022, at 8:39 AM, Duane <txpigeon@...> wrote:

On Thu, Jan 13, 2022 at 05:09 PM, Andy Wedge wrote:
they would get the first message from one the your frequent posters and could elect to follow that to receive the rest
And then could elect to 'unfollow' when it gets to be a problem for them.