moderated Re: Posting Limits #suggestion

Jim F.

Andy and Pete-

Oh, we've tried, to the point of some nastiness that drove others away.  But some people just cannot limit themselves (despite having agreed to try), and for better or worse it isn't a group where the moderators can act unilaterally.  The problem is similar to someone hogging the floor at an in-person meeting; but those were more actively moderated and even so it wasn't always easy to deal with.  Online, people seem even quicker to take offense, which in turn makes it personal and acrimonious.  So, as I suggested, it would be very helpful to have an automatic, impersonal way to address the problem (after getting consensus on a numerical limit), rather than to see the substantive discussion sidetracked yet again.

For some reason I got Pete's comment but not Andy's.

Best regards.

-Jim F.

On Jan 12, 2022, at 4:05 PM, Peter Cook <peterscottcook@...> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 12, 2022 at 04:03 PM, Andy wrote:
Maybe the solution is more feedback and encouragement to do better.
I agree. I have on occasion had to have conversations like this and I've found most people to be very cooperative.

Pete