moderated Re: Whole lotta groups.io messages going into spam this past week #misc

On Fri, Nov 19, 2021 at 11:29 AM Andy <AI.egrps+io@...> wrote:

The co-moderator also wonders whether that hijacker who targets AOL addresses may be partly to blame.  My group gets hit fairly hard by that idiot.  If a lot of AOL users who are not subscribers to our group receive group messages and mark them as Spam, might it somehow trickle down to other email providers (such as Gmail) and cause Gmail to mark legitimate messages as Spam too, just because they came from our group or from groups.io?  (Not talking about blacklisting.)

The hijacker went on hiatus for a month but it seems he returned about Nov. 6.

I would be disappointed if Gmail factored those emails into their spam rating, given that they're bounced from us through a 3rd party to the receiver. But, I have no insight into Gmail's spam filtering process, so who knows.

As an aside, in early November I did some more work that (hopefully) has cut down further on the spammer receiving emails from us. Unfortunately, what it seems like is that he's now taking old group messages sent to him and re-sending them; I've gotten a couple of complaints this week about email that was originally sent to an account I had disabled at the beginning of November.